Dial Not Spinning All the Way Around in Squid Stone Runes Puzzle in QfG4-a Bug?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArthurWalden

Dial Not Spinning All the Way Around in Squid Stone Runes Puzzle in QfG4-a Bug?

Post by ArthurWalden »

I'm having the situation where the dial won't spin all the way around between the two "Os" in the squid stone runes puzzle in Quest for Glory IV. This means I can't spell "Avoozl." ScummVM mentions a bug regarding this in the SCI bugs log but says it was fixed. I'm not quite sure what to do.

It is possible that this is the result of a conflict with Ashlancer's patch, but for the most part the two have worked very well together. Also, Ashlancer made no mention in his readme of having made any alterations to the Squid Stone room at all (I believe it is room 800 in the game code) so it doesn't seem there would be a conflict between two bug fixes like there seems to have been with the flowers and rusalka.

One thing that someone on the GOG forums mentioned was that since Ashlancer's patch was released in 2021 that I might try reverting the version of ScummVM I am using to the one in use that year. How would I do this? Also, would my save games from my current playthrough be compatible or would I have to start the game over?

Edit: Just checked the game using ScummVM without Ashlancer's patch. The same problem occurred. Now that I know that the third party patch has nothing to do with it, I will report it as a bug.

Nonetheless, I have seen numerous online sources say that the problem is the using the dial on the speed of modern computers. There are ways to slow down DOSBox. Are there ways for me to slow down ScummVM as well? Trying to play the game on DOSBox works very poorly.

Final edit: Okay, by combining some online information (including a poster on GOG) and my own observations I figured out how to solve the puzzle and complete the game. There is no bug in ScummVM that needs to be dealt with further. (Sluicebox also once mentioned that there is nothing further they can do about the dial.)
ArthurWalden

Re: Dial Not Spinning All the Way Around in Squid Stone Runes Puzzle in QfG4-a Bug?

Post by ArthurWalden »

I would like to make a suggestion on the ticket (officially marked by sluicebox as "wontfix") I opened that's now been closed. Is there a way I can do that? If not, is there another way I can make a suggestion about the website? (Remember, I'm still new here.)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Dial Not Spinning All the Way Around in Squid Stone Runes Puzzle in QfG4-a Bug?

Post by Raziel »

iirc you can still post to closed tickets