Pegasus Prime Crash

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nozomi

Pegasus Prime Crash

Post by nozomi »

I'm trying out The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime DVD version from GOG and get a crash at the start of a new game.

At the begining of the game the player can click on two options at the bottom of the screen "Mission Briefing" and "Environ Scan" If Environ Scan is selected, ScummVM crashes part way throught the video with the error "Could not find data for frame 193"

I tested this on Windows and Android using the latest 2.8.0 relese and the previous 2.7.1. and get the same crash.

Having never play the game until acquiring from GOG I have no idea if this a game bug or a ScummVM issue or even a corruption issue in my devices. Can anyone help to determine if this is truly and issue with ScummVM, the GOG release or something else.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Pegasus Prime Crash

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:40 am I'm trying out The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime DVD version from GOG and get a crash at the start of a new game.

At the begining of the game the player can click on two options at the bottom of the screen "Mission Briefing" and "Environ Scan" If Environ Scan is selected, ScummVM crashes part way throught the video with the error "Could not find data for frame 193"

I tested this on Windows and Android using the latest 2.8.0 relese and the previous 2.7.1. and get the same crash.

Having never play the game until acquiring from GOG I have no idea if this a game bug or a ScummVM issue or even a corruption issue in my devices. Can anyone help to determine if this is truly and issue with ScummVM, the GOG release or something else.
Yes I can confirm that ScummVM crashes at that point with the GOG release DVD/Windows/English (I do not own any other release of the game to check with).
Skipping the video (with space bar key) will avoid the crash.

The GOG release is bundled with a special scummvm build (1.7.0git, which is old by now (2014), but does run that video without issues).

Checking with other ScummVM releases:
2.5.0 seems to run that video without the crash.
2.5.1 has the crash.
The rest of the releases, and the current development builds (2.9.0git) get the crash too.

So, at first look, it seems that it is some regression introduced between 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 releases.

Edit: A bug ticket for this was opened here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14855

As far as I can tell, the crash happens at the end of the video (this is also implied by the commit that started the regression).
If you know of other videos where this happens, please feel free to add more info on the bug ticket.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

A fix for this video crash (the problematic file is "PP Data/Images/AI/Caldoria/XAE1") is now on the main repository code and will be part of the future daily development builds (for 2.9.0git)

The fix is also backported for a potential 2.8.1 release.
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

That is great news. Thanks you for creating the ticket. I look forward to the potential 2.8.1 release.
Adore33

Post by Adore33 »

@Nozomi & Praetorian

I am just confirming that "2.8.0." has this crash happen.
You can press the ESC key or Left Mouse Click right before the video ends and it will not crash.

Thank you both for looking into this.