Early Macromedia Director titles are supported now

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spanner

Re: Early Macromedia Director titles are supported now

Post by spanner »

Dose it run a Director program thats a exe file in Scummvm..?
There was a FE that was made in 2001 that was made in Director and you could walk around 3d environments so like a virtual arcade, it was called 3D Arcade and it was built in Director MX I think, I used it a lot, up until Director was removed from Windows, You can download Arcades and Arcade Cabinets too for it and then load the games from the Cabs in MAME, If I try and run it it windows it partly loads but then crashes.
Its here... https://www.mameworld.info/3darcade/
I was wondering if I could get it to run in ScummVM..?
This is one of its arcades, it used the 3D part of director and you can use skins(themes) on it to like Hyperspin.
deniros_exhibition_alpha.jpg
deniros_exhibition_alpha.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
You can see it in this video, how it worked.
https://youtu.be/BOjbcmnS-1s?t=197
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No. We currently support titles up to Director 4. MX was Director 9.

Eugene
mystrw

Post by mystrw »

Hello ScummVM Director engine developers. Thank you for your continuing efforts toward getting Director games up & running in Scumm. I've been monitoring the ScummVM homepage ("Latest Developments" section) for any Director engine development status but haven't noted any recent posts. Any chance you can provide us interested followers/future users a brief update on where you're currently at with your Director 4 development...? Do you need any user testing/bug reporting support at this time (for "Total Distortion" or other D4 game...)? Thanks for any update you might provide and again for your continuing Director engine development efforts...
Korovev

Post by Korovev »

I realise it’s kinda beyond the scope of SVM, but I love that the (Windows version of) the Star Trek Omnipedia (Director 4.0.4) is recognised by 2.8.0 :mrgreen:
krbj

Post by krbj »

sev wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:58 pmWe are also actively collecting info on any Director-based (and Shockwave) titles that we catalogue on our Wiki, so, please, help us with this task.
Wiki says:
Jönssonligan går på djupet Win/Mac adventure 7.0 (possibly 7.0.2, judging by the Mac executable) Appears to be Swedish only. (It's the second of two games, but I don't have Jönssonligan: Jakten på Mjölner.) Windows executable is 2000-10-16, and for the Mac executable it's 2000-10-26.
I found some old data lying around with "Jönssonligan: Jakten på Mjölner" installation media for PC only and in Swedish only. File contents state Macromedia Director 7.0.2. Alas, this is probably a cracked/touched copy, since EXE and directory dates are 2008-03-29, other file dates are only up to 2000-11-14.
I don't have wiki editing rights. Tell me if you want any other information about this artifact...