Scummvm 2.8.0 - Gobliiins 5 - black characters

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WODAK

Scummvm 2.8.0 - Gobliiins 5 - black characters

Post by WODAK »

Greetings!
If run Gobliiins 5 on Android Scummvm 2.8.0 (Pixel 4A - Android 11) there is a bug in the game where all the fonts and menus on the intro screen are black. The same goes then when you start the game all the characters and items are also black (like shadows). If I run the game on Windows 10 Scummvm 2.8.0 the game runs perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scummvm 2.8.0 - Gobliiins 5 - black characters

Post by Praetorian »

WODAK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:17 pm Greetings!
If run Gobliiins 5 on Android Scummvm 2.8.0 (Pixel 4A - Android 11) there is a bug in the game where all the fonts and menus on the intro screen are black. The same goes then when you start the game all the characters and items are also black (like shadows). If I run the game on Windows 10 Scummvm 2.8.0 the game runs perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Hello,

Does this happen even with the demo for the Gobliiins 5 game that you can download from the creator's page on itch.io here?

I can only test with that one, but I don't get this issue when starting the game on ScummVM 2.8.0 nor with a developer 2.9git build.

Maybe this is a conflict with some custom graphic setting? Are you using the default Global Options Graphics settings and Game Options' Graphics settings? Maybe you're using a shader that interferes with the rendering of the game?
WODAK

Post by WODAK »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:00 am Hello,

Does this happen even with the demo for the Gobliiins 5 game that you can download from the creator's page on itch.io here?

I can only test with that one, but I don't get this issue when starting the game on ScummVM 2.8.0 nor with a developer 2.9git build.

Maybe this is a conflict with some custom graphic setting? Are you using the default Global Options Graphics settings and Game Options' Graphics settings? Maybe you're using a shader that interferes with the rendering of the game?
First of all thank you for your fast replay!

Today I tried with the same version of Gobliiins 5 with other android devices like HTC One M9 (Android 7.1) and on tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (Android 11) and the game runs without any glitches. So it must be something with my current phone Pixel 4A (Android 11). I used the default settings on all devices and the only problem is on my Pixel 4A.

I also tried with the version from itch.io and got the same result.

Images from my Pixel 4A:

https://ibb.co/34Js4rc and https://ibb.co/JW1HFQr
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I think I kind of see the bug, but for me it only happens when I intenionally hit one of the system buttons (the square one, or the round one), and the app gets moved (with a quick scaling animation) to the background or restored from the background. It's temporary for me though, the black spots get replaced by the normal sprites/textures/font glyphs.

I am unsure why that happens as of yet, but it seems connected to your more permanent situation with the game.

Could you open a ticket on the bug tracker for this? I will add my findings there too.

https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... _bugs.html
https://bugs.scummvm.org
WODAK

Post by WODAK »

I opened a ticket on the bug tracker( https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14923)

Thank you for your help.
mim2011

Post by mim2011 »

Hallo,

I can reproduce this problem on many AGS games (Unavowed, Whispers of a Machine, Technobabylon... all from GOG ) with 2.8.0 and 2.9.x, but only on a device with Android 13. On other devices, with Android 8.1, 11 and 14 it is ok.
On the tablet with Android 13, the RetroArch Scummvm Core (v.2.9.0) it is ok. Only the Scummvm App has this problem.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

mim2011 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:47 am Hallo,

I can reproduce this problem on many AGS games (Unavowed, Whispers of a Machine, Technobabylon... all from GOG ) with 2.8.0 and 2.9.x, but only on a device with Android 13. On other devices, with Android 8.1, 11 and 14 it is ok.
On the tablet with Android 13, the RetroArch Scummvm Core (v.2.9.0) it is ok. Only the Scummvm App has this problem.
Hello, could you specify a couple of things for us:
- Can you think of any special setting (outside of ScummVM's settings) on your Android 13 device that may have affected the way apps appear on the device? Or, for that matter, of any setting / restriction policy that is set differently on this device than the other ones where the issue is not present?
- What is the model of the device that has the issue?
mim2011

Post by mim2011 »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:57 pm
Hello, could you specify a couple of things for us:
- Can you think of any special setting (outside of ScummVM's settings) on your Android 13 device that may have affected the way apps appear on the device? Or, for that matter, of any setting / restriction policy that is set differently on this device than the other ones where the issue is not present?
- What is the model of the device that has the issue?
It is a cheap tablet, Alldocube iPlay 50 Mini pro NFE
It has plain Android 13, no custom changes from the vendor.
There are no special settings it seems very simple compared with my Samsung tablet and phones with Android 11 and 14. The device with Android 8.1 ist a Xiaomi tablet, also without problems.
Other games and emulators are working fine ex ppsspp Drastic or Druckstation even RetroArch.
mim2011

Post by mim2011 »

Hallo

I just tested with the latest daily build and the problem seems to be gone.

Thank you