Alone, Under Strange Night

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Alone, Under Strange Night

Post by scoriae »

Howdy folks. I was looking for some of the old Wintermute freeware games that ScummVM now supports. Along the way I got into contact with the author of "Alone, Under Strange Night" due to his old download link being long dead and it not being cached by the wayback machine.

Unfortunately, he has no backup of his old games, however he asked me to let him know if I ever find a copy of it. As this was a free demo and the author himself is looking for it, I thought I would reach out here on the ScummVM forums to see if anyone had a copy laying around?

For that matter, if anyone has *any* of the older free wintermute demos\games that are no longer available, then i would love to get them uploaded to the dead code website to help preserve them.

Thank you.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Alone, Under Strange Night

Post by dreammaster »

scoriae wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:04 pm For that matter, if anyone has *any* of the older free wintermute demos\games that are no longer available, then i would love to get them uploaded to the dead code website to help preserve them.
Thank you.
There are several WinterMute demos on the ScummVM website's Demos page in both the "Unknown Company Demos" and the "Miscellaneous Demos" sections. Don't know if they're older ones or not, though.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Thank you. I have checked those, and while there is lots of great content there, for wintermute in general there are lots missing. Unfortunately, most of these games were self hosted on developer websites around 2000-2015. And a majority of these sites no longer exist. I've been going through the game announcement forums at the primary wintermute forums, and going thread by thread to see what I can scavenge, however my success rate is only around 50%.

So, I am hoping that maybe the addition of so many wintermute games here will draw out folks that may have copies of these demos on their own machines, so we can try and get them hosted in places such as ScummVM's demo page or other wintermute game lists.
tag2015

Post by tag2015 »