Android TV ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

johnny rico

Android TV ?

Post by johnny rico »

Hello, I tried ScummVM inside Retroarch core, works ok except some big games, but when I wanted to install native Android port, no luck with many versions...

PlayStore tell me it is not compatible.

Manual APK not better :

-scummvm-2.8.0-android-arm64-v8a > can't install

-scummvm-2.8.0-android-arm-v7a > install ok, but white screen on launch :|

My TV is a Philips 58PUS8545/12 on Android 9 API level 28n, AArch64 Processor rev 2, MT5887 (find the specs on Kodi :mrgreen: )

Thanks !
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Android TV ?

Post by sev »

That is weird because our minSdkVersion is 16, and the target one is 33. TargetSDK was on 28 at around 2.1.1, you may try your lunch with that version, you will need to download the APK manually from here.

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

We had to remove the "TV supported" category from our Manifest file when we published the 2.7.1 on Google's Play Store, since a change in Google's policy is blocking the publishing of APK packaged apps that declare TV support.

For 2.8.0 we switched (we had to) to the app bundle publishing model for the first time, but forgot to restore the category for TV support.

The "TV supported" category is now back in the Manifest file, and daily debug builds (2.9git) as well as a potential bugfix 2.8.1 release should get it.
I can't recommend testing with a 2.9git build, since there have been significant changes to path handling and may cause issues if you are switching back and forth (but especially backwards) between 2.9 and 2.8.

But running ScummVM on a TV is not much tested. I have successfuly run ScummVM on an Amazon FireTV (1080p) stick (and that required sideloading the arm7 2.8.0 apk), and I have also tested on an emulated Android TV device on Android Studio (4K, Android 12, with the x86 2.8.0 apk) and that also launched fine.

We do expect that there might be isues with some devices, but we will need more detailed feedback on what is wrong, preferrably testing with the 2.8.1 if/when it's released.
johnny rico

Post by johnny rico »

Thanks to both of you, will try and come back :D
johnny rico

Post by johnny rico »

OK, so 2.1.1 version can launch, telling me at first there is no sdcard mounted on my device (I have a usb flashdrive and an usb hdd connected to my TV, used for extra Android app storage and many roms/games for Retroarch) and the interface scaling of modern scummvm is way too high, I can almost read any of the menu section, tried every graphic option with no luck, same for adding games, scummvm cannot find any external storage...

I think I will go back to Retroarch one (lacking some options, and double cursor problem, but most pre-1995 games work ok :wink: