Update cycle?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

danbun

Update cycle?

Post by danbun »

I love the app so far (really well done!), but coming from mobile with frequent app updates I'm wondering what the update cycle will be?

This is especially valid for the game detection, which in my opinion should be updated each month (maybe independantly from new features, which could come less frequently, e.g. twice a year).

Of course I'm writing this without any ideas of the effort, so I value your opinion.

Thank you!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Update cycle?

Post by sev »

We do not have enough resources for regular updates. We try our best to release a version at least once a year.

Eugene
danbun

Post by danbun »

Thank you, Eugene.

And for the game database? If it would be downloadable like the new icons, it would allow a more timely integration of new releases.
Granted, new games also work now with the "add anyway" function, but the games are then sorted under the letter "A" (for AGS Fallback) instead of the manually added game name. But this is a minor issue and seems to be the only one.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Currently the game detection data is hardcoded into the ScummVM source code. So updates can only be deployed by making new ScummVM releases.
However there are discussions within the team to move the game detection data to separate data files. This will help some ports for which the ScummVM executable size is getting too big, but would also in theory allow providing updates to those data files without having to release new ScummVM versions. So while currently making frequent updates for the game detection is not possible, this is something that may become a possibility in the future, once ScummVM has been modified to handle those external detection data files (which may take a while).