Issues adding Sanitarium and broken sword 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stuffuts

Issues adding Sanitarium and broken sword 1

Post by stuffuts »

I’ve been a long time (many years) user and I absolutely love scummvm, but have never posted before.

I’ve used scummvm on many platforms and now I jumped to a new platform, Mac M2.

The games that I have added are more or less untouched over the years, and to my surprise when I started to add games on my brand new setup, two are no longer recognized, Broken Sword 1 and Sanitarium (gog). They have worked without issues before but not anymore and I have no clue why.

Also, no FM Towns games are recognized (indy x 2, loom and zak)

Running 2.8

Has something changed that could make some games incompatible?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Issues adding Sanitarium and broken sword 1

Post by Praetorian »

stuffuts wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:54 pm I’ve been a long time (many years) user and I absolutely love scummvm, but have never posted before.

I’ve used scummvm on many platforms and now I jumped to a new platform, Mac M2.

The games that I have added are more or less untouched over the years, and to my surprise when I started to add games on my brand new setup, two are no longer recognized, Broken Sword 1 and Sanitarium (gog). They have worked without issues before but not anymore and I have no clue why.

Also, no FM Towns games are recognized (indy x 2, loom and zak)

Running 2.8

Has something changed that could make some games incompatible?
Can you specify a few more details?

- Which version of Broken Sword 1 did you install and try to add to ScummVM? The remastered version will not work on ScummVM.
- Did you point ScummVM to the folder of Sanitarium where GOG installed it or to the "data" subfolder? You need to point ScummVM to the "data" subfolder.
stuffuts

Post by stuffuts »

Doh, Data folder for Sanitarium worked.

Broken Sword, I'm not sure exactly version of it, but it's not the remastered version. Broken Sword using the same files has previously worked with earlier versions.

Regarding the FM Towns games, has something changed so that they are no longer recognized?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

For Broken Sword 1 and 2 we made the detection more strict to help with the validation of the game data files. This means that the folder structure of the files on the disk should match how they are organized on the original CDs or distributions from online stores (such as GOG or Steam). So you might want to check that this is the case. It's possible that we broke detection for some of those legitimate sources, in which case it would be great if you could open a ticket on https://bugs.scummvm.org/ so that we can fix that.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

stuffuts wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm Doh, Data folder for Sanitarium worked.
I'm glad it worked!
stuffuts wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm Broken Sword, I'm not sure exactly version of it, but it's not the remastered version. Broken Sword using the same files has previously worked with earlier versions.
Since a couple of ScummVM releases back, the detection for the Broken Sword games was reworked, and there's an open call for users reporting their versions (preferrably with detailed info, such as language, year of release, any relevant info on the retail box etc), if they are not detected.

However, if this is the classic English version that GOG offers with the "Director's Cut" (I was wrong in remembering it as a remaster, but the Director's Cut is not supported), it will probably be detected as is, after installation. But please try installing anew, and not re-using an old folder that used to work.

More info is provided here on required data files and expected folder structure:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Brok ... data_files

Same goes for Broken Sword 2.
stuffuts wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm Regarding the FM Towns games, has something changed so that they are no longer recognized?
Which FM Towns games in particular? I am not aware of any changes, but I don't think I have any to test. Maybe our SCUMM focused developers/maintainers know more on this.
stuffuts

Post by stuffuts »

Ok, something appeared to have changed in the requirements for sword1. Grabbed it from gog and it works. Strangely I have used the previous files for years. But it's solved now, big thanks!

Neither of my FM Towns games are working. I was in particular looking to get zak up and running, but same results for loom, indy3 and atlantis.

Sorry, couldn't properly quote your previous reply.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Can you post the log output for when you try to add your fm towns games?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

There were no changes in FM-TOWNS versions detection. Please make sure you copy all files from your CDs.

Eugene
stuffuts

Post by stuffuts »

sev wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 pm There were no changes in FM-TOWNS versions detection. Please make sure you copy all files from your CDs.
This is a bit embarrassing… I had accidentally messed up the folder. Restored from backup and is now working. Sorry!