Longest Journey on v2.9.0git23

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

undrwater

Longest Journey on v2.9.0git23

Post by undrwater »

Attempting to run 'The Longest Journey' on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7. I've got other games working, but when attempting to run TLJ, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

WARNING:  TextViewerDialog::loadFile(): File size is: 97960!
Runs OK on the PC.

Thanks to all who put in development work. This is an amazing resource!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Longest Journey on v2.9.0git23

Post by Praetorian »

undrwater wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:10 pm

WARNING:  TextViewerDialog::loadFile(): File size is: 97960!
Hello,

This is not an error. It shows up when browsing the log file in the ScummVM Android app, as the final line in the text area. This is expected.

What is the issue you're seeing with the game?
Eg.
- Was it added successfully?
- Does it launch ok, crash during launch or crash while playing? Is there an error prompt before crashing?
- Does it take too long to start?
- Does it not load a saved game?
- Something else?

Also please clarify which version of the game you're trying to run (Steam, GOG, CDs etc), whether you're using the HD mod, and whether you had tested before with an eariier version of ScummVM Android and did not get the issue.

As a first suggestion however, I'd re-copy the files to the Samsung device and double-check that there were no errors during copy (eg. due to limited space on the device).

Note also that if you're running this game from an external storage using Google's SAF (ie. if it was added via via the method desribed here), it may take a while to start and /or load a saved game and you may be looking at a black screen for seconds, maybe minutes.

Edit: I've now tested with the latest daily 2.9.0git (arm64-v8a) on an Android 12 phone with the GOG version of the game and the HD mod installed. The game runs fine for me. But, since I added it via SAF, it is very slow to load, and also lags for almost all scenes' and cutscenes' transitions. The daily builds are debug builds so some of the slowness (especially in video playback performance) maybe attributed to that.
undrwater

Post by undrwater »

Thanks for your reply!

I had read on another thread that the game can take a while to load. What happens is it loads (black screen with control item on top right), then crashes (app is gone from screen, and home screen returns). No error prompts.

I'm using the GOG game with the HD mod. This was the first version of the Android client I tried that actually attempted to launch the game.

I installed in the external SD storage. I copied using

adb push
. There were no errors.
if you're running this game from an external storage using Google's SAF (ie. if it was added via via the method desribed here)
Yes, this is how I did it. I have sufficient storage to install to internal memory.

I'll try copying to internal maybe, and see if things work better there.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hmm, looking up Galaxy Tab S7 I see it's upgradeable to Android 13.

Android 13 is known to be very strict with memory leaks (it will crash/force close to Home screen) so this might be a possible cause.

Are you on Android 13?

I no longer have an emulated Android 13 device to test on, so it could take a while for me to re-setup one (with enough storage space to allow having the HD mod as well) and test.

Re: copying the game files to internal memory. You'd have to copy the files somewhere inside ScummVM's app folder specifically, in order to do not need SAF for adding the game. On the top level of the ScummVM file browser, ie. the browser you get when trying to add a game, there should be shortcuts to the internal and "external" ScummVM data folders.

Those shortcuts would show you the actual paths for those ScummVM data folders on your device.

I suppose copying to the "external" ScummVM data folder should be more friendly/easier since Android allows third party apps to access that one.

For copying to the internal folder you'd have to use ScummVM's LAN server feature or Cloud synching I guess (but I would not recommend that with the ammount of files the game with HD mod has).
undrwater

Post by undrwater »

Are you on Android 13?
Yes. Understood about external vs internal. I was using the terms as they related to storage options (plugged in SD card vs internal sd_card).

If there's anything I can help with for debugging, let me know.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Since due to very limited free time, I am unsure when I will be able to look into this, I've opened a bug ticket about it here.

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14824

Maybe some other developer will be available to look into this sooner.
Feel free to add any details that might help, that are currently missing from the report.