ScummVM Detected Demos On Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD as Unknown Game Variants

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

ScummVM Detected Demos On Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD as Unknown Game Variants

Post by philthethrill »

I have a demo on the Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD that I ordered on eBay. ScummVM detected Math Blaster Jr as an unknown game variant. The game in 'MBJRWIN\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the director engine: director-win-fallback

{"MBSTART.EXE", 0, "t:ac78baf4e736b3363dae2a7136d07049", 690041},

I added it anyway. It has director-win-fallback-1 as ID, and Macromedia Director Game (v4.00/Windows) as the name. The demo ran flawlessly. It was more of a game trailer than an interactive demo.

I have a second demo on the FIsher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD that i ordered on eBay. ScummVM detected Reading Blaster Jr as an unknown game variant. The game in 'RBJRWIN\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the director engine: director-win-fallback

{"RBJUNIOR.EXE", 0, "t:d146b5084aef8f4edac617c9e0fa79a9", 705457},

I added it anyway. It used the same ID that it picked for Math Blaster Jr., and the same name too. The demo ran flawlessly. It was more of a game trailer than an interactive demo.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM Detected Demos On Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD as Unknown Game Variants

Post by sev »

Please, follow our forum rules. First of all, Rule #3a "Do not post bugreports here", and second, these games are not on our compatibility list. And lastly, Director 5 support is in its infancy. It is expected that the games will not work fully.

Eugene
philthethrill

Re: ScummVM Detected Demos On Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD as Unknown Game Variants

Post by philthethrill »

I understand that games will not work fully with Director 5. I read and reread the announcement from December 14.

I also read the directions for the Issue Tracker, and I’m aware that it’s only for games that are currently supported.

The report game button in ScummVM takes me to a forbidden page, so I now know that bug reports are just an FYI, and that I can proceed to try and run the game if I want to. If it works, great, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll keep checking the announcements to see how things are progressing.

I got overexcited when I played Director 5 demos, and I ordered the full games right away from eBay. I honestly thought that if the demo works in ScummVM that the full game would work as well. I’m realizing that’s not the case.

I tried to stick to Director 5 games from 1995 because when I read the announcement from December 14, I got the impression that they’re likely to work. There are a few more games that I ordered from eBay that are on the way. I’ll try them out and see how it goes. If any of them work, I’ll play those first, and I’ll try the others again later.

The games are actually for my niece. I think she would enjoy them. Most of them are ones that I played when I was a kid, and I’m excited that she’ll be able to play them on the iPad because she’s not that comfortable with using a mouse. She’s more used to the touch screens.
Last edited by philthethrill on Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Could you please elaborate on what "The report game button in ScummVM takes me to a forbidden page" means? Which button and what is a "forbidden page"?

Eugene
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

Sure. So when I add a game that ScummVM detects as an unknown variant, it gives me a bug report, and there are a few options on the bottom. There's a report game button, a copy to clipboard button, a cancel button, and an add anyway button. When I click the report game button, it takes me to a webpage that says Error: Forbidden, and there's a red text box that says "TICKET_CREATE privileges are required to perform this operation. You don't have the required permissions." The URL says bugs.scummvm.org/newticket followed by a whole bunch of information that I assume would be autofilled in a form. It also says on the webpage "You are currently not logged in. You may want to do so now" The words do so are in red, and I'm able to click on them to log in. When I click on the report game button again, it's all good. The New Ticket form is all filled out for me, and I can click on Create TIcket if I wanted to. I'm not going to because I don't have anything to report. You saw the bug reports already, and I know the issue tracker is only for currently supported games.