Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship Stops Working After Game Intro

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship Stops Working After Game Intro

Post by philthethrill »

I ordered Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship from eBay. ScummVM was able to detect it as an unknown game variant.

The game in 'E:\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the director engine: director-win-fallback

{"FPPIRATE.EXE", 0, "t:ec66fe3d4eac3ca1bee08777bb0e910e", 1400421},

I chose to add it anyway. The game ID is director-win-fallback, and the name is Macromedia Director Game (v5.0.0r134/Windows)

I started the game, and it was able to play the intro. Then the debugger showed up on the screen where I'm supposed to enter my name. It says ScummVM 2.8.0 (Dec 17 2023 16:15:14) Console is Ready Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game. Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and variables. ERROR: Builtin 'getAT' did not return value!

I'm no expert programmer. I only took a semester of C programming in community college, so I assume that means that I won't be able to enter my name because ScummVM won't be able to read and recognize it.

I typed exit to return to the game. I got a brief glimpse of the pirate captain Stubbs holding the sign-up sheet before ScummVM closed down,

ScummVM also detected a second game on the Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship CD that I ordered from eBay. I'm assuming it's a demo for Fisher-Price Ready for School: First Grade. It detected it as an unknown game variant.

The game in 'E:\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the director engine: fpready1-win

{"PIR32BIT/START32.EXE", 0, "t:564db7e9ffacb6c0fecbf83c1f988069", 1394437},

I added it anyway. It has fpready1-win as the ID, and Fisher-Price Ready for School: First Grade (Windows/English) as the name.

I started the game, and it wasn't Fisher-Price Ready for School: First Grade. It was Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship. I got the same error message in the debugger that I had already mentioned earlier.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Fisher-Price Great Adventures Pirate Ship Stops Working After Game Intro

Post by sev »

Nice experience, but what should we do with it?

Eugene
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

It would be nice if I could just skip the sign in part, and use the ScummVM save states instead. Another option would be that ScummVM autofills the sign in sheet with default user names, or there could be a prompt from ScummVM that asks the player to type in a name, word, or phrase. Then ScummVM would receive the text input, and then place it in the sign in sheet. I realize that this is easier said than done. If there’s no viable option, then the game can be deemed unplayable.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, these games are not in the supported list. Nobody from the team looked into running them.

Eugene