Support for Loom Greek translation EGA version

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

petran79

Support for Loom Greek translation EGA version

Post by petran79 »

Happy holidays and new year

Some years ago they created some Greek fan translations for Loom, Monkey Island 1 and Last Crusade.
Monkey Island patch supports the DOS version
Last Crusade patch supports the FM Towns version
Loom patch supports both FM Towns and EGA version.

Unfortunately Scummvm refuses to recognise the EGA DOS version of Loom

https://classicadventuresingreek.blogsp ... m.html?m=1
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Support for Loom Greek translation EGA version

Post by Praetorian »

petran79 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:37 am Happy holidays and new year

Some years ago they created some Greek fan translations for Loom, Monkey Island 1 and Last Crusade.
Monkey Island patch supports the DOS version
Last Crusade patch supports the FM Towns version
Loom patch supports both FM Towns and EGA version.

Unfortunately Scummvm refuses to recognise the EGA DOS version of Loom

https://classicadventuresingreek.blogsp ... m.html?m=1
Hey, petran79.

Yes, this is mainly my fault. I've been meaning to add the support for the Greek fan translation of both Loom and Last Crusade (and Monkey Island 1 and Grim Fandango), but other priorities got in the way. And on top of that, while revisiting Loom's and Last Crusade translations I've spotted quite a few grammatical errors which I'd prefer to have fixed before adding the support.

Those two translations especially (Loom and Indy 3) were done quite quickly (and by one person), mostly as an exercise of how this could be done, how to build auxiliary tools and patch scripts, in preparation for Grim Fandango's work (and MI later on). So it seems that quite a few errors went undetected/unreported.

I hope to start updating the patches and add support within the new year, if all goes well.
petran79

Re: Support for Loom Greek translation EGA version

Post by petran79 »

All right, I'll be waiting. I was mainly interested to show those games to my young nephew who does not know English and most importantly because those games do not make him nervous and excited visually like the action oriented console games.
He was mainly interested in MI1 which was the easiest.

As for Grim Fandango, it is much easier to apply the converted patch for the Remaster version because the original is very picky. I tried to apply it to the version from Archive.org and it would not recognise that the patch was installed.