No save/load game options via Steam deck

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cyberman4711

No save/load game options via Steam deck

Post by cyberman4711 »

Hello,

I use Valve Steam with ScummVM games. Games are working without problem but there is no option to save or load a game file.

Button F5 doesnt't exist on Steam deck keyboard. Do you've a solution or is a new ScummVM version necessary?

Please help.

Best regards and a happy new year
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: No save/load game options via Steam deck

Post by Praetorian »

cyberman4711 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:49 am Hello,

I use Valve Steam with ScummVM games. Games are working without problem but there is no option to save or load a game file.

Button F5 doesnt't exist on Steam deck keyboard. Do you've a solution or is a new ScummVM version necessary?

Please help.

Best regards and a happy new year
If the game supports saving from ScummVM Global Main Menu (not all games do, and those that do might not allow saving/loading at all times) then you can remap the shortcut for it from ScummVM's launcher's Global Options... -> Keymaps.
scummvm-00028.jpg
scummvm-00028.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
If the game does not support save/load from ScummVM GMM, then it *might* provide a separate keymap for its native save/load menu, which you could remap to the key you want, via the game's own "Edit Game..." -> Keymaps tab.

Please test with a recent version of ScummVM (current official is 2.8.0) and let us know more specific details about any games that don't support the above.
cyberman4711

Post by cyberman4711 »

Hello,

I didn´t install ScummVM on steam deck. It´s already delivered with each Scumm game such as Monkey Island 1 or Maniac Mansion.

There exists no load/save option in the game. And when I enable keyboard support for F5 key it isn´t working. There exists no solution in the whole Internet.
Steam support wrote that I should contact you for support.

Are you aware with Steam deck? Could you help me? Is a new ScummVM version necessary for Steam deck?

Best regards
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I do not own a Steam Deck, so I cannot test on it, no.

Maniac Mansion on Steam comes with an old version of ScummVM so I don't think that you can go to launcher and remap the ScummVM GMM (ScummVM's in-game menu) to another key.

Monkey Island 1 on Steam is not the classic version, so I am not sure how you're running that one on Deck (it's probably possible, but not as is from Steam).

We have a thread where some members figured how to install a latest Scummvm version via the flatpack package we provide.
viewtopic.php?p=96854#p96854

And in this thread there's mention of potential solutions to file access issues if you have your games and/or your saved games paths in external storage (SD Card)
viewtopic.php?p=98384#p98384

If you manage to install a recent version of ScummVM on the Deck, you will then need to launch that one, and then add and launch your ScummVM supported games through that ScummVM app. A recent version of ScummVM should allow you to map a key other than F5 to the Global Main Menu, which you need for saving and loading in games such as Maniac Mansion.

Maybe Retroarch + ScummVM would be another viable solution for Steam Deck? (Unfortunately I have no experience in using Retroarch; others here might know more though).