Sanitarium Basque translation problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

josuigoa

Sanitarium Basque translation problems

Post by josuigoa »

Hi!

I'm a huge fan of Sanitarium, first of all, thank you for the asylum engine!

I'm trying to translate the game to Basque (my mother tongue) and I'm having some issues. I've got the Max texts fine, but when I go to an encounter with another person, it doesn't show the choose options. In fact, begins to play all the convesations of the game in that moment. Once started to talk to the first person, I had to listen every conversation in the game, until force quit the game :?

I've been digging in the engine code and I figured this out:

* The first integer says how many entries are in the file
* After that, comes every offset of every entry in the file
* Then are the text entries.
* And at the end of the file (after a text called "(eword end)"), I don't know what the heck is. But is seems that it has be something related with the conversations options.

I'm creating the RES.000 file and got the first three points working, but I can't understand the fourth one.

Is here anyone who can guide me creating this RES.000? Any developer, translator?

thanks in advance
rzil

Re: Sanitarium Basque translation problems

Post by rzil »

Hi, here you can find the tool I have written (using the amazing mrcrowbar*) and used to translate the game into hebrew (translation is finished):
https://github.com/adventurebrew/kolmin ... /asylum.py

the tool is not very friendly currently nor well written, it have hard coded handling for text and fonts
it first extracts those, then try to import back files with _heb suffix (so they should copied before)
(I just recently put it in version control so it won't get lost)

*(I wrote it based on this helpful video https://youtu.be/e0x7KU4wLGw)

regarding the problem you are facing, I remeber having it as well at some point, so you are in the right track :)
(IIRC, it was related to a special character on max's lines)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

josuigoa wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:33 pm I'm trying to translate the game to Basque (my mother tongue) and I'm having some issues.
A shameless plug from me, but would you perhaps be interested in completing the ScummVM GUI translation into Basque? It has been stuck for a long while at 31%. If so, you could register there and I give you permissions for Translation, so you could do it directly, without going via suggestions.

Eugene
josuigoa

Post by josuigoa »

rzil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:22 pm Hi, here you can find the tool I have written (using the amazing mrcrowbar*) and used to translate the game into hebrew (translation is finished):
https://github.com/adventurebrew/kolmin ... /asylum.py
Wow, thanks for the tool! I've been inspiring in the engine changes needed for the hebrew support, your work is very present in my process :-)

BTW, I found that some sentences had a 01 byte at the end, the ones that have the choices after them. Now I can start to test the translation!
sev wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:51 pm A shameless plug from me, but would you perhaps be interested in completing the ScummVM GUI translation into Basque?
Oh, that would be great! I will register and start translating when I get back from holidays.

thanks to both of you!