Goblins (DOS Version) - Recording soundtracks separated by instruments

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sunshine

Goblins (DOS Version) - Recording soundtracks separated by instruments

Post by Sunshine »

Hello,
I am currently creating Amiga MOD version of all Gobliins 2 and Goblins 3 soundtracks. I used some ScummVM codes to obtain sample data and repeat indexes of each sample. There isn't any problem to create Amiga version of all Goblins soundtracks; however, I want to obtain PC version of Goblins sountracks separated by each instrument. I don't know how AdLib works, but I think that it may be possible to obtain wav record of each soundtrack separated by instruments. In addition, it would be very nice to obtain samples if possible. I want to make XM modules of PC version of Gobliins 2 and Goblins 3.
Is it possible to obtain wav records of each soundtrack separated by instruments, and obtain samples of instruments?
Last edited by Sunshine on Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Goblins (DOS Version) - Recording soundtracks separated by instruments

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Sunshine wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:23 pm Is it possible to obtain wav records of each soundtrack separated by instruments, and obtain samples of instruments?
If you're comfortable recompiling ScummVM, you might be able to separate the instruments by modifying engines/gob/sound/adlib.cpp, e.g. by adding "if (voice != 0) return;" to the top of it so that it only plays voice 0. Then repeat the procedure with voice 1, 2, etc. I don't know if that will give you one single instrument (I assume it could assign a new one to a particular voice whenever it wanted to?), but it could be a start.

Getting sample of instruments, though... From what I understand, AdLib generates all sound on the fly by writing values to various registers. At least in general, I don't think there is such a thing as a sample for an instrument? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Sunshine

Re: Goblins (DOS Version) - Recording soundtracks separated by instruments

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks for the information eriktorbjorn. After then obtaining wav records of each instrument for each soundtrack, I can obtain samples from the records. Perhaps the quality will not be the same as AdLib version since it uses a synthesizer that is not sample based, I think that it will be worth trying. After then completing Amiga Goblins soundtracks, I will try to obtain wav record of each soundtrack separated by instruments applying the method you exlpained.