Croustibat - English translation

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

denzquix

Re: Croustibat - English translation

Post by denzquix »

I recently completed my own attempt at translating Croustibat to English.

Is anyone interested in playing it and giving feedback? Send me a private message if so. I'd be particularly interested in someone who can speak both languages fluently and has played the original, so they can tell if I have not done a good job of capturing the spirit of a particular line. But it would also be useful to just have someone go through and check for more basic problems, like I just forgot to translate something somewhere.
BJNFNE

Post by BJNFNE »

Yes i am interested into playing the English version, i have made aswell an German translation of Croustibat
Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

I am a native Portuguese speaker and I've known this game since I was a kid.
I have been playing Denzquix's English translation side to side with the original. This translation is a great start but has some issues! So here are my proposed corrections:

---

INTRO, USER INTERFACE AND NAMES

First screen:
- Change from "THE GAME WHERE YOU'RE THE HERO!" to "THE GAME IN WHICH YOU'RE THE HERO!"
This reminds me of the old Fighting Fantasy book covers that said "A fighting fantasy gamebook in which YOU become the hero!" so "IN WHICH" sounds better to me.
- Remove the underline in "YOU'RE". In my opinion it's unnecessary, and the original doesn't have that. When translating some work it's better to keep it simple and as close to the original design as possible.

Intro:
- Change from "LOOK! THAT SHIP'S ABOUT TO BE ATTACKED BY FLYING MONSTERS! WE HAVE TO HELP THEM!" to "LOOK! THE SHIP IS ABOUT TO BE ATTACKED BY FLYING MONSTERS! WE NEED TO HELP THEM!".
"That ship" sounds like it's a random or unknown ship. In the original he says "The ship" like he knows the ship or it's his ship. Also "we need to help them" is closer to the original intention.
- Change "I WILL COME TO HELP WHENEVER YOU FIND ONE OF THESE SAILOR CAPS. GAME ON!" to "I'LL COME TO HELP WHENEVER YOU FIND MY CAP. NOW LET'S PLAY"
In the original he says that it's his cap and not some random cap. Also, we can see that it's a sailor cap and that he's a sailor, so "sailor cap" there is redundant.
- Change "BE BRAVE - GOOD LUCK!" to just "GOOD LUCK!"
This was very likely originally badly translated from the French "bon courage et bonne chance". "Bon courage" is usually translated to "good luck" and "bonne chance" directly translates to "good luck" so yeah.

The user interface:
The user interface labels should be closer to the ones on Gobliins 2, so:
- Change "OPTIONS" to "GAME MANAGEMENT".
- Change "NOTEBOOK" to "NOTEPAD"
- Change "ITEM SWAP" to "EXCHANGE ITEMS"
- Change "OK" on QUIT THE GAME to "CONFIRM"

The about screen:
Look, I get it, your work is appreciated and all and don't take this the wrong way, but do you really have go change the game's version number and give yourself credit here? I mean, even the original Portuguese translator who translated this game from French to Portuguese didn't get a credit here, so why put your name inside the game? Giving yourself credit in the README.TXT file is enough in my opinion. Also, if you change the version number you're making it different from Coktel Vision's standards, so it gets confusing to someone who only plays this version. I don't mean to be impolite or ungrateful, but you should consider restoring the about screen to it's original format.

The characters' names:
In the original the boy is named JOSÉ which directly translated to Joseph, and the girl is named CATARINA which directly translates to Catherine.

So in my opinion if you want to give them shortened names, you should change their names to "JOEY" and "CATHY".
If you want to go with a K for the girl's name, "KATE" or "KATIE" would also work. As it is "KATY" reminds me a bit too much of Katy Perry so maybe you should scrap that one, haha.

FIRST STAGE

When the girl kisses the mole:
- Change "I'M FEELING A BIT PECKISH!" to "I'M FEELING KINDA HUNGRY" which is closer to the original line.
I mean "peckish" sounds a bit too british to me, you don't hear many people saying that. Also, the exclamation mark there is unnecessary and unlike the original. Simpler is better.

When you take the sticks out of the ladder:
- Change "RUNG 1" and "RUNG 2" to "STICK 1" and "STICK 2" since they were originally sticks taken from the ship's wheel anyway. Also "STICK 1" and "STICK 2" feels more intuitive after the "MAYBE WITH A STICK..." hint.
I understand why you went with rung, but the original Portuguese translation from the apparently original French language wasn't so great to begin with, so yeah.

When you click the bicycle that doesn't have a handlebar:
Change
"IT HAS PEDALS, BUT IT'S MISSING THE HANDLEBAR!"
to
"THIS BICYCLE CAN BE PEDALLED
BUT IT'S MISSING THE HANDLEBAR!
"
I know in the original the rest of the text is cut off, but whis way the first part is still closer to the original line.

On the raft:
- Change "RUDDER" to "TILLER", which is the correct name of that part on a sailboat, or in this case a raft. The rudder is the part that stays under water. The handle bar thingy connected to the rudder to steer it is the "tiller". Look it up.

SECOND STAGE

On the raft:
- Change "THE BICYCLE IS BUSTED! WE'RE ADRIFT UNTIL IT'S FIXED" to "THE BICYCLE IS BUSTED, WITHOUT IT WE CAN'T MOVE ANY FURTHER!" which is the direct translation of the original line. I don't quite understand why you've changed this line.

When you click on the pedal with the girl, or use the pedal on the bicycle with the girl:
- Change "I DON'T GET INVOLVED IN GREASY ENGINEERING WORK!" to "YUCK! IT'S FULL OF GREASE..." which is closer to the original line. I also don't understand why you've changed this line to the point that it's nothing like the original. Also, don't forget they are little kids, and kids don't use big words like "engineering".

When you click on the key with the boy:
- Change "TRY ASKING MY FRIEND, SHE IS BETTER AT JUMPING" to "MY FRIEND IS BETTER AT JUMPING" which is closer to the original line. No need to add that first hint if it's not in the original.

When you click on the cork:
- Change "PERHAPS A FISH ON THE CORK WOULD LURE A FRIENDLY SEA CREATURE TO BRING IT TO ME" to "IF I PUT A FISH ON THE CORK, A FRIENDLY SEA CREATURE WILL BRING IT TO ME" which is closer to the original line. In the original they are not wondering, they are giving that hint because they are sure that will happen. And it's implied that the fish is to lure the seal, no need to explain it in detail. Keep it simple and short like the original.

When you open the chest:
- Change "WHAT TREASURES! A FISHING NET, AND A HAMMER..." to "GREAT FINDINGS! A FISHING NET, AND A HAMMER..." which is closer to the original line.

When you click on the seal with the boy:
- Change "I GET THE FEELING SHE IS AFRAID OF ME!?" to "I GET THE FEELING IT'S AFRAID OF ME!?". That's a common translation mistake, in the original Portuguese it's not specified if it's a female seal or not.

When you click on the seal with the girl:
- Change "I THINK SHE'S HUNGRY..." to "I THINK IT'S HUNGRY...".
Again, in the original it's not necessarily a female seal.

When you give a fish to the pelican and find the cap:
- Change "YES! I FOUND THE CAP OF CROUSTIBAT!" to "AWESOME! I FOUND CROUSTIBAT'S CAP!".
Again, it's Croutibat's cap, and not some random cap. And Croustibat is the name of the main character.

- Change "MY FRIENDS! THESE FISH FINGERS WILL POWER YOU UP!" to "MY FRIENDS! THESE FISH STICKS WILL GIVE YOU STRENGTH!" which is closer to the original and also more appropriate in this context since Croustibat is telling the kids to eat those fish fingers in the same tone a parent tells a kid to eat their vegetables. Remember, this is a promotional game for fish fingers.

---

I'll play the rest of the game and post my proposed corrections in the next few days! Stay tuned.
Last edited by Fred_PJ on Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

I've ended up playing the rest of the game today! So here is the rest:

---

THIRD LEVEL

- Change "SADDLEBAG" to "SADDLE BAG" since it's more commonly used as two words, besides being clearer to read.

- Shorten "BICYCLE PUMP" to "BIKE PUMP" since I feel it's way more commonly used that way, and it will make the inventory window narrower.

When clicking on the saddle bag:
- Change "LOOK, A SELF-ADHESIVE PATCH!" to "LOOK, AN ADHESIVE TIRE PATCH!"
"Self-adhesive" is a mistranslation from Portuguese. It's an adhesive tire patch for bicycle tires.

When you click on the door to the galley before using the flute:
- Change
"BEFORE WE GIVE THE FLUTE TO THE COOK, LET'S GET SOME USE OUT OF IT FIRST" to "WE HAVE TO GIVE THE FLUTE TO THE COOK, BUT I NEED TO USE IT FIRST."
I'm not sure why you've changed it so much since the direct translation works fine here.

When you click on the hand drill:
- Change "LOOKS LIKE WE'LL BE DRILLING SOME HOLES HERE!" to "WE CAN USE IT TO DRILL HOLES!"
It's closer to the original since the direct translation is something like "Here we have it to drill the holes!", probably translated from the French "voici".

When you click on the cowl vent with the girl:
- Change "YUCK! I'M NOT GOING IN THERE, MY CLOTHES WOULD GET FILTHY" to "YUCK! I DON'T WANT TO GET MY CLOTHES DIRTY IN THERE!"

When you click on the cowl vent with the boy:
- Change "A POLE BLOCKED MY WAY! I TRIED, BUT I COULDN'T REMOVE IT!" to "A POLE IS BLOCKING THE WAY! BUT I COULDN'T REMOVE IT!"

When you give the cook the flute:
- Change "THE SHIP'S COOK IS A SWEETHEART. HE GAVE ME A PIECE OF CHEESE!" to "THE SHIP'S COOK IS NICE, HE GAVE ME A PIECE OF CHEESE!"
I mean, "a sweetheart" is a bit too much here, they're just saying he's nice, and not that he's the sweetest person ever or something haha.

When you use the bike pump on the lifebuoy:
- Change "RATS! THE LIFEBUOY IS PUNCTURED, IT NEEDS TO BE PATCHED FIRST!" to "DAMN IT! THE LIFEBUOY IS PUNCTURED, I NEED A PATCH!" which is closer to the original line.

After you patch the lifebuoy:
- Change "THE LIFEBUOY IS REPAIRED, GOOD AS NEW!" to "THERE, THE LIFEBUOY IS REPAIRED!"
That "good as new" remark is irrelevant and not in the original line. The original most likely was translated from the French "voilá".

When you click on the flying monster on the net:
- Change "I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STRENGTH!" to "I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH!"

When you pick up Croustibat's cap:
- Change "AHOY SAILORS! WITH FISH FINGER POWER YOUR STRENGTH WILL TAKE A MIGHTY BOOST!" to "AHOY SAILORS! YOU WILL GET STRONGER THANKS TO THESE FISH STICKS!" which is closer to the original. By the way, the added "Ahoy" is a nice touch which works well here instead of the "Sailors!" exclamation in the original line.

---

Overall, apart from these it's a pretty good translation, nice work! I'd love to see another version of it sometime!
denzquix

Post by denzquix »

Thanks for all your feedback, Fred_PJ! I'll certainly put together a new version once I get some free time.

By the way, I assume you know it's possible if you're quick to get the boy to be the one to eat Croustibat in the first scene, but it seems not possible for him to do so in the other two scenes. But from looking at the data files it seems that, at one point at least, he was able to be the "winner" at the end of the game too:

https://i.imgur.com/pqVpDw4.png

Interesting, right? (Unless it's actually possible to win as him and I just haven't been able to do it right!)
Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

Hey, you're welcome denzquix! I'm glad to help others enjoy this game the same way I've been experiencing it since 1995!

Wow, that is very interesting, I didn't know about that! Yeah, I've never found a way to make the boy eat the fish sticks and win, and I'm pretty sure that I've tried to do that even when I was a kid. If when you click on Croustibat's cap with the boy it's always the greedy girl who eats them.

Well, I would say that it's a scripting error or something, but unless the palette is adjustable, the gray shirt and the grayish pants kind of give it away. Since the clothes don't match the ones the boy is wearing in game, the most likely scenario is that they had planned it but probably didn't want to spend more time on this promotional game which was put together on top of Gobliins 2.

By the way, the last part at the ship was pretty much based on this TV commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adw7UW-C-qc&t=2s
So when I was a kid I figured out what I had to do pretty quickly because I remembered that commercial.

Also, notice that at the end of the commercial it's advertising this game. It says there "WIN COMPUTERS AND THOUSANDS OF GAMES". By thousands of games they meant thousands of copies of this game, limited to 10.000 copies to be more precise. Which is why I don't understand why I've never someone else owning a copy of the game other than me.
borges

Post by borges »

It is possible to have the boy eat the fish sticks and win. The game supports choosing another name for one of the players and if you change the name of the boy, he will eat the fish sticks and be the winner.

The menu script looks for a "config" text file and reads the first two characters. The first character is either a "0" for the boy or a "1" for the girl.

The second character chooses the name ("0" for "JOSIANE", "1" for "IRMA", "2" for "VERONIQUE", "3" for "WILFRID", or "4" for "ANTHONY"). It also chooses the palette for both shirts.

So if you create a text file, type "03", and save it as "config" in the game directory, the boy will be called Wilfrid and have a blue shirt.

I'm impressed with how well denzquix modified the graphics for the intro and final. It looks great, but if you don't want to update the graphics again, another option is to use the o1_printTotText command to write the translations as subtitles.
denzquix

Post by denzquix »

borges wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:59 pm It is possible to have the boy eat the fish sticks and win. The game supports choosing another name for one of the players and if you change the name of the boy, he will eat the fish sticks and be the winner.

The menu script looks for a "config" text file and reads the first two characters. The first character is either a "0" for the boy or a "1" for the girl.

The second character chooses the name ("0" for "JOSIANE", "1" for "IRMA", "2" for "VERONIQUE", "3" for "WILFRID", or "4" for "ANTHONY"). It also chooses the palette for both shirts.

So if you create a text file, type "03", and save it as "config" in the game directory, the boy will be called Wilfrid and have a blue shirt.
Wow, very interesting! I did notice these alternate names appearing in the data but assumed it was unreachable. Normally this config file is not present or created unless you know to do so manually, I assume...?

So it seems that the plan was to make the player characters somewhat configurable, presumably via the installer, but this plan was eventually discarded. My hunch is that the idea would have been to base the character on yourself (where the assumption is those playing the game would be children): Are you a boy or a girl, what is your favorite color, etc. It might even have been the intention to let you give your own name to the character, but for some technical reason this was changed to selecting from a list, and then dropped entirely.

This is actually what led me to put the emphasis in "The Game Where You're The Hero" on the intro screen. In English, without the emphasis, I would argue that this reads like you play as the hero character, which of course is what you do in almost all games -- but with the emphasis, it reads like the hero character is yourself.
Fred_PJ

Post by Fred_PJ »

That is indeed very interesting! I remember seeing those names on the files while messing with them on a hex editor but I've always wrongly assumed those were leftovers from Gobliins 2 which by the way I've never played, so yeah.

Since those are French names (Josiane, Irma and Veronique are female names, Wilfrid and Anthony are male names) and not Portuguese names, my bet is that the Portuguese translators had trouble translating the original installer or didn't want to deal with it at all, so they completely scrapped it and replaced it with a shoddy batch file and ignored the character setup.

I really wish there was a copy of this game in its original French language around. I wonder if the original devs still have that somewhere.