Hail to the kingdom!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Hail to the kingdom!

Post by Strangerke »

We are very pleased to announce today the start of the testing period of two single-game engines: Kingdom: The Far Reaches and Escape From Hell!

Kingdom was developed and released by Interplay in 1995. Only the DOS version of the game (available on gog.com) is supported. It's a cartoon FMV game, with an inventory, in which you have to guide Lathan Kandor through a medieval world, discovering the magic spells and the items required to defeat an evil wizard.

Escape From Hell was developed for Electronic Arts by the game veterans Richard Seaborne and Alan Murphy and was released in 1990. You play Alan in this keyboard-only Role Playing Game and visit Hell, looking for your girlfriend who was accidentally teleported there.

Both games use heavily hardcoded logic which is error prone and requires a lot of testing, so we need your feedback more than ever as they are both incompletely tested. There is sadly only one known demo for Kingdom. Support for the Windows and Mac versions of _Kingdom_ may come later! Please contact us if you have some other demos of both games.

To play any of these games, you will need a daily development build. As always, please submit your bug reports to our issue tracker and please take some screenshots along the way!
Jorpho

Re: Hail to the kingdom!

Post by Jorpho »

Strangerke wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:24 pm Both games use heavily hardcoded logic which is error prone and requires a lot of testing
I was under the vague impression that hardcoded logic was generally a strong detriment to a game's potential inclusion. Was there something in particular that inspired the selection of these games..?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Jorpho

Personal interest and little bit of SM, i assume :-D

/me runs
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Well, I love reversing hardcoded logic, it helps (=> SM).
That said, it means it requires more testing, which is why the inclusion is more difficult.

Escape from Hell is a RPG, which means there are a lot of objects, spells, weapons, ... Each having potentially an effect which is hardcoded. The teleports and dialogs re almost 100% scripted so it should be fine