File Associations in MacOS

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TrivialBalderdash

File Associations in MacOS

Post by TrivialBalderdash »

I was curious about the file associations with ScummVM on MacOS. I recently purchased and re-imaged a PowerMac G4, PPC w/ MacOS 10.4. After installing all the essentials (ok, ScummVM IS the only essential program :wink: ), I noticed that all of the unregistered file types defaulted to opening with ScummVM. This is every file type that didn't already have a default program associated with it - .plist, no extension, and everything else. When you right click and select "open with", there is ScummVM.

I'll admit to being a total novice at all this, but I still wanted to see if I could figure out what was going on.
My guess is that this is enabled by the application's info.plist.

Code: Select all

<dict>
	<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
	<string>All Files</string>
	<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
	<string>Viewer</string>
	<key>LSHandlerRank</key>
	<string>Alternate</string>
	<key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
	<array>
		<string>public.data</string>
		<string>public.content</string>
	</array>
</dict>
I assumed this is done so that a new game is added using native system file browser, all the files will show up in the selection window. Otherwise it will look like every directory is empty. (This doesn't seem to be the case.)

I removed this section from the info.plist file and it removed the numerous file associations in the OS (success!). I was still able to add and play games. So what did I just break and haven't found yet?

Can someone smarter than me educate me on what's going on here?

Thank you!!