How to backup scummvm and all games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

qm2hill

How to backup scummvm and all games

Post by qm2hill »

Please help! I need to back up Scummvm and all my games before I reinstall windows 11 factory restore. I've backed uped all my libraries, but I dont' know how to make a backup of Scummvm and the 4 games I have installed. Can someone please give me detailed instructions on how to backup scummvm games that are already installed on scummvm? Thanks! I'm a newcomer so, not sure how to proceed. Much appreciation!!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to backup scummvm and all games

Post by eriktorbjorn »

qm2hill wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:02 pm Can someone please give me detailed instructions on how to backup scummvm games that are already installed on scummvm? Thanks! I'm a newcomer so, not sure how to proceed. Much appreciation!!
I haven't done this myself, and I'm not on Windows, but I guess the two most important things to find are the scummvm.ini file, and the save folder.

The manual says the scummvm.ini file should be located in %APPDATA%\ScummVM\scummvm.ini

The save folder can be configured, but the default location should be %APPDATA%\ScummVM\Saved games

So I guess making sure that %APPDATA%\ScummVM is backed up would go a long way? Though I'm probably forgetting something...
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to backup scummvm and all games

Post by Praetorian »

I second what eriktorbjorn suggests (back up the scummvm ini and saved games folder(s)).

I would add that you can backup your game folders if you're formatting the hard drive where those data folders were, so that you won't have to go through re-installing the games and/or arranging the data files appropriately -- especially for non-Steam games (since backing up a Steam game has little point imo) or those that require extra steps to be detected by ScummVM.

And keep in mind that your backup copy of the scummvm ini file contains full paths to the game folders so, if after the clean installation the drive letters for those paths has changed, you'll have to edit the scummvm ini and replace them with the new ones manually.

I also haven't done this myself recently, but those are the steps I'd follow, if I were to do this.