Subtitles absent during gameplay

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TheHutt

Subtitles absent during gameplay

Post by TheHutt »

I have my setting for subtitles set per defauly on "Both" (so both voice and subtitles are displayed).
On the latest Android version (2.7.0.5) they don't work.

I tested it out on The Dig.
- In cutscenes, subtitles are there.
- In gameplay, only voices (+music etc.) are there, subtitles are absent.
- If I set the setting only to "subtitles", they are displayed in-game, but of course no voices can be heard.

Same behavior also occurs with Curse of Monkey Island.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Subtitles absent during gameplay

Post by Praetorian »

TheHutt wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:45 pm I have my setting for subtitles set per defauly on "Both" (so both voice and subtitles are displayed).
On the latest Android version (2.7.0.5) they don't work.

I tested it out on The Dig.
- In cutscenes, subtitles are there.
- In gameplay, only voices (+music etc.) are there, subtitles are absent.
- If I set the setting only to "subtitles", they are displayed in-game, but of course no voices can be heard.

Same behavior also occurs with Curse of Monkey Island.
Hello, I can reproduce the behavior with SCUMM games (mostly tested with The Dig and Curse of Monkey Island) in 2.7.0.5. It does not seem to affect games that use other engines (eg. Blade Runner).

The issue seems to have been fixed in recent development (debug) builds of 2.8git, although I am not sure which commit exactly fixed the issue. There's still a bit of fuzzy behavior going on, but hopefully that will get sorted out too before the next release.

What works in 2.7.0.5 for The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island, is start the game, and then press "F5" to bring up the in-game classic menu and tick the box for subtitles/text there. Then return to the game. This only has to be done once per SCUMM game affected.

You can "press F5" by bringing up the overlay keyboard and going through the special keys buttons -- to bring up the overlay keyboard on-demand, do a long-touch press on the control mode icon on the top of the screen.