Gabriel Knight 1, back on italian fan-made translation

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gabriel Knight 1, back on italian fan-made translation

Post by Praetorian »

topolinik wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:07 pm Can the floppy release be purchased somewhere?
I believe the Steam entry is also the CD version (the size seems to confirm it, and some forum posts there mention that it's actually a re-packaged GOG release).

So, that pretty much leaves eBay and such stores that would resell old retail (boxed) copies -- and hopefully the floppies inside are still in working condition.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Praetorian wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:28 amScummVM developer sluicebox, expert in all matters of the SCI32 engine, has issued a commit to address the reported issues with the Italian translation for the CD version here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... 4bf6065aeb
Anyway the commit by sluicebox is misleading when it talks about CD version, while user kremiso only reported success with a floppy release.
Just for reference.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

topolinik wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:10 pm Anyway the commit by sluicebox is misleading when it talks about CD version, while user kremiso only reported success with a floppy release.
Just for reference.
No, I don't think that's right.
Kremiso could clarify of course, but as I understand it the situation was thus:
  1. Initally problems / crashes were encountered playing the Floppy version. This was due to using an old version of ScummVM.
  2. Updating to ScummVM 2.7.0 (latest stable release) fixed the issues with the Floppy version and it now runs ok (with the Italian translation patch applied).
    seems working ok with the latest 2.7.0 version,
    at least i have reached and passed the same part without randomly and unavoidable crashes
  3. Kremiso then tested with the CD version, but faced similar issues with you, as reported in the OP
    i have just made a couple of tries, using the CD resource files (taken from the GOG version) and the most important files included in the translation patch (ALT.MAP and ALT.RES)
    now, applying the patch as it is, ScummVM detects the game, but cannot reach to make it run, as reported from the OP
  4. At this point sluicebox made the fix and commited it to the ScummVM codebase. The fix is now part of the daily ScummVM builds (ie. version 2.8.0git). (It's not on the stable 2.7.0 version)
  5. Kremiso tested again the CD version with a daily ScummVM build that included the fix, and wrote that it's now seems to be working
    its working :)
    just made a fast play until day2, triggering only the main story events, to proceed
In summary; both the floppy and the CD versions of the game, after patching them with the Italian translation patch should now work with a daily development build of ScummVM 2.8.0git.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

yeah, exactly what Praetorian said :)

the imo easiest way (maybe the lone too) to have the CD version fan translated working on ScummVM
(maybe helpful to topolinik for a new try) :

- download the .zip patch (not the installer)

- you need just two files, ALT.MAP and ALT.RES; the second one need to be renamed as RESOURCE.ALT (mandatory)

- both two files (with the second renamed) then need to be copy/pasted on the game cd files folder, overwriting the same two files already there (so better make a copy before)

---

the renaming thing helped to make firstly start the game and reveal the kernel issue, then xrayed from Sluicebox :)
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Well, what can I say... great!
I just needed a "GK ita for dummies" :mrgreen:
Thanks both!
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

Big tanks to sluicebox and all the developers fo this great enhancement an to kremiso for the great mini how-to, a dream finally came true!