Gabriel Knight 1, back on italian fan-made translation

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

topolinik

Gabriel Knight 1, back on italian fan-made translation

Post by topolinik »

I have GK1 from GOG, it is a CD release including both DOS version and Win version - they both run with scummvm.
Now, I applied a fan-made italian translation which should translate both versions.
The DOS version runs into dosbox, but eating so much CPU cycles that my fan runs at full speed (I'm on a laptop).
The Windows version doesn't run in wine (both vanilla and patched) because it strictly requires a 256 color display setting - we are in 2023 and I can't say this could still be done (in any case, I won't).
Now, scummvm complains about resource files heavily modified (maybe corrupted) and can't run the game (it is commit 879109836be0a53bc2305ba65ea5471d0dc8861b , so quite fresh).
In ticket #7801 I see this translation support is given as "done" but should I file a new bug report?
Or is it me unable to work up a proper setup?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gabriel Knight 1, back on italian fan-made translation

Post by Praetorian »

The links in that bug ticket seem to be now dead.

Is the patch (or both patches) hosted somewhere online?
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

They are hosted here.
You'll find translation kits for floppy version and CD version, in .exe format and .zip format.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Further, I see in wiki page about SCI patches the patches by Enrico Rolfi (who worked on the translation also) include some bug fixing for the game itself - and this may be the culprit.
Should the patch take care of the translation only and skip the updating?
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

for what its worth, i have tried unsuccessfully to proceed with this, playing the floppy version

after a couple of randomly crashes, accessing to some locations in further days, i encountered an unavoidable crash at the beging of day5, on the library

it is a very good translation work, hope it will full supported in future
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

kremiso wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:28 am for what its worth, i have tried unsuccessfully to proceed with this, playing the floppy version

after a couple of randomly crashes, accessing to some locations in further days, i encountered an unavoidable crash at the beging of day5, on the library

it is a very good translation work, hope it will full supported in future
I think this could be filed as a new bug ticket on our tracker. Please provide all the required details (patch links, saved games near the crashes and the final crash).

Otherwise, this issue will get lost in the forums.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

Praetorian wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:27 pm
I think this could be filed as a new bug ticket on our tracker. Please provide all the required details (patch links, saved games near the crashes and the final crash).

seems working ok with the latest 2.7.0 version,
at least i have reached and passed the same part without randomly and unavoidable crashes

the game is still detected as english version;
if can be useful, im adding the checksum detect screenshot i have here :
GK1_Floppy_fan_translation_IT.PNG
GK1_Floppy_fan_translation_IT.PNG (101.43 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

kremiso wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:19 am seems working ok with the latest 2.7.0 version,
at least i have reached and passed the same part without randomly and unavoidable crashes

Good to know, although the original post in the thread indicates that a development build (commit 879109836be0a53bc2305ba65ea5471d0dc8861b from Mar 29, so I suppose 2.8git) will not run the game. Maybe it was indeed a case of corrupted files? Or is it a regression?
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

Praetorian wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:14 am Good to know, although the original post in the thread indicates that a development build (commit 879109836be0a53bc2305ba65ea5471d0dc8861b from Mar 29, so I suppose 2.8git) will not run the game. Maybe it was indeed a case of corrupted files? Or is it a regression?
yeah the op is in a worse situation
i think the CD version patched with the fan translation never worked on ScummVM, despite the announce on that bugfix, on 2017

i was reading details in sorry just italian forum :

https://www.oldgamesitalia.net/forum/in ... opic=24456

in specific one file (ALT.RES) has been highly changed, and seems also the main exe's have been in part;
works and worked on DosBox
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

a little update
i have just made a couple of tries, using the CD resource files (taken from the GOG version) and the most important files included in the translation patch (ALT.MAP and ALT.RES)

now, applying the patch as it is, ScummVM detects the game, but cannot reach to make it run, as reported from the OP

but, just renaming the ALT.RES file as RESOURCE.ALT (and so replacing the original RESOURCE.ALT), make the game at least start, reaching the main menu;
the intro also works, but everything will stuck at the DAY1 screen, with the engine complaining about a Kernel thing
gk1_cd_fanIT_statusw.PNG
gk1_cd_fanIT_statusw.PNG (146.4 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
gk1_cd_fanIT_mainw.PNG
gk1_cd_fanIT_mainw.PNG (162.94 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hello!

ScummVM developer sluicebox, expert in all matters of the SCI32 engine, has issued a commit to address the reported issues with the Italian translation for the CD version here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... 4bf6065aeb

The commit should be part of the daily development build (if you test today, it's the ones that are labled "4374f145"; the "9841e903" ones are a bit behind and don't include the fix).

Sluicebox wrote he looked at all the scripts that the translation changed, and didn't see any other conflicts. Still, let us know if you spot any more issues and, if possible, please open a report on our bug tracker so we can properly track the issue.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

its working :)
just made a fast play until day2, triggering only the main story events, to proceed

thank you @Praetorian for the update here, and @Sluicebox for the fix work
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Thanks for your update!
kremiso wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:19 am
Praetorian wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:27 pm

seems working ok with the latest 2.7.0 version,

Unfortunately I'm still unable to play my GOG release (with a fresh scummvm git), and I think it's because when I point scummvm to the game directory, it can't manage to detect the floppy version (which indeed is into the same directory) and tries to run the CD version (unsuccessfully). I say this 'cause this version shows a different md5 for RESOURCE.MAP
The only detected game variants are 'gk1-cd-win' and 'gk1-cd'.
It there any tricks I can use to force scummvm to "see" the floppy release among other files?
(maybe a brutal remove-what-belongs-to-the-CD-version-only?)
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

topolinik wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:11 pm Unfortunately I'm still unable to play my GOG release (with a fresh scummvm git), and I think it's because when I point scummvm to the game directory, it can't manage to detect the floppy version (which indeed is into the same directory) and tries to run the CD version (unsuccessfully). I say this 'cause this version shows a different md5 for RESOURCE.MAP
The only detected game variants are 'gk1-cd-win' and 'gk1-cd'.
It there any tricks I can use to force scummvm to "see" the floppy release among other files?
(maybe a brutal remove-what-belongs-to-the-CD-version-only?)
I am not sure I understand. Does GOG offer the Floppy version of the game? I believe they distribute only the CD version(s), which are detected by ScummVM. Did you try using the translation patch provided for the CD version?

If the resource.map file is different for the floppy version compared to the one from the CD version(s) -- which seems to be the case since the MD5 is different-- then I think there's little you can do. Unless GOG actually does distribute the floppy version with a separate installer.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Oh, I got confused by the game release packaged by GOG, which includes both DOS and WIN versions of the CD release (both executables are present) but no floppy variant.
Sorry for the buzz.
Can the floppy release be purchased somewhere?