There's that name again. Matia. What's going on here?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OneEightHundred

There's that name again. Matia. What's going on here?

Post by OneEightHundred »

Schizm: Mysterious Journey, the second supported game of the V-Cruise engine, is ready for public testing!

Created in 2001 by Detalion and published by LK Avalon, this acclaimed 3D-rendered panoramic first-person adventure has you puzzle your way through an alien world as a team of two scientists split up when their ship crash-landed on the planet.

ScummVM currently supports the DVD and digital English releases (with subtitles in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Greek, and Russian). If you’re aware of any other versions, please contact us.

To play any of these supported releases, you will need a daily development build. If you encounter any issues, please submit them to the issue tracker.
Uka

Re: There's that name again. Matia. What's going on here?

Post by Uka »

Thanks for adding this great game!
Unfortunately while Russian versions of "Reah" and "Schizm" launch fine, the text is not readable.
scummvm-reah-win-00001.png
scummvm-reah-win-00001.png (378.14 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
scummvm-schizm-win-00000.png
scummvm-schizm-win-00000.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8136 times
scummvm-schizm-win-00001.png
scummvm-schizm-win-00001.png (990.67 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Uka wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 pm Unfortunately while Russian versions of "Reah" and "Schizm" launch fine, the text is not readable.
GOG's version of Schizm includes Russian subtitles (enabled by changing the game's language setting), and those seem to work. At least to my untrained eye.
scummvm-00005.png
scummvm-00005.png (34.87 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
scummvm-schizm-win-00000.png
scummvm-schizm-win-00000.png (424.79 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
It reminds me of a story about how a French student tried to send a letter to a Russian friend. But she only had the address from an email, and didn't realize the email client wasn't displaying it correctly. So some heroic postal employee had to decode the address so the letter could be delivered.
604px-Letter_to_Russia_with_krokozyabry.jpg
604px-Letter_to_Russia_with_krokozyabry.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
I'm guessing that's what's going on here: The game engine is able to render Cyrillic, but for whatever reason it decided not to.
Uka

Post by Uka »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:12 am GOG's version of Schizm includes Russian subtitles (enabled by changing the game's language setting to , and those seem to work (at least to my untrained eye).
I have GOG's versions of both games, but prefer to use my disks :)
I have Reah DVD English, Reah CD Russian, Schizm DVD English, Schizm CD Russian and Schizm DVD Russian. GOG does not have Russian voices, but the CD/DVD editions do!
Anyway, voices play fine - the text does not show up.
eriktorbjorn wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:12 am I'm guessing that's what's going on here: The game engine is able to render Cyrillic, but for whatever reason it decided not to.
Hmm, that's strange! The Cyrillic fonts should not be much different between GOG and disk versions?
Maybe it is something wrong with my system?..
sev knows I have the same problem with "Touche" (that's my fan-made translation that should be officially supported), however all other Russian games are fine in ScummVM.
OneEightHundred

It sounds like whatever version you're using doesn't use the same values for the language IDs, so it is guessing the character encoding wrong.

If you look in the "Log" directory, there should be a series of "Speech" files, i.e. Speech00.txt, Speech01.txt, etc.

Can you report how many of them there are, and what languages they are in? (It should say the language at the start of the file.)

Also, can you check the ScummVM log to see if it's outputting any of these log messages?
"Localization data failed to load, retrying with default language"
"Localization data failed to load again, trying one more time and guessing the encoding"
"Fallback language detection: Guessed language as (name of language)"
"Couldn't guess text encoding from localization content, please report this as a bug!"

Also, if subtitles are not showing up, but the menu text is working, there are two main possibilities: First, the engine was adjusted to respect ScummVM's subtitles setting, which is off by default. You need to enable subtitles in either Global Options or Game Options. Second, some languages in Schizm have only UI text data and no subtitle data (e.g. in the GOG release, German, French, Spanish, and Italian are UI-only translations). If the game is set to a language that doesn't have subtitle data then there will be no subtitles.
Uka

Post by Uka »

OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:59 am If you look in the "Log" directory, there should be a series of "Speech" files, i.e. Speech00.txt, Speech01.txt, etc.
Can you report how many of them there are, and what languages they are in? (It should say the language at the start of the file.)
In "Schizm" (DVD Russian), there is only the Russian file, Speech07.txt.
And "Reah" (CD Russian) is the unofficial edition, so there are seven files there with the Russian replacing Speech01.txt.
But all that should not be the problem as the game does show the text from the corresponding Speech file - it is just the encoding is wrong.
OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:59 am Also, can you check the ScummVM log to see if it's outputting any of these log messages?
There is a log, but I do not see anything bad there (attached).
The Russian version of "Reah" was not recognized, so it goes as "English". And "Schizm" was recognized as "Russian Digital", not DVD.
OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:59 am Also, if subtitles are not showing up, but the menu text is working
No - you can see my screenshots above! The text is wrong in "Schizm" menu as well. It is correct in "Reah", but only because the menu text is embedded into BMP files there.
Attachments
Logs.rar
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
OneEightHundred

Uka wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 am In "Schizm" (DVD Russian), there is only the Russian file, Speech07.txt.
I figured out the issue, apparently this happens if the game language is set to default and ScummVM's UI language is set to an unsupported language. In that case, it was using ScummVM's UI language to decide the character encoding (which would fail) but was using the game's default language to decide what language file to load.

This should be fixed in the next daily build. In the meantime, it should work properly if you set the game's language to Russian in the game options.
And "Reah" (CD Russian) is the unofficial edition, so there are seven files there with the Russian replacing Speech01.txt.
But all that should not be the problem as the game does show the text from the corresponding Speech file - it is just the encoding is wrong.
Reah doesn't have a Russian language ID so I'll need to add support for that for it to work. Can you provide a few pieces of information?

First, run scummvm --md5 --md5-path=Log/Speech01.txt --md5-engine=vcruise

That will give the file hash+size so I can add it to the detection tables.

Second, can you open the Speech01.txt file and see what character encoding it is using? (I'd guess it's Windows-1251. If you open it with Notepad++, it should say the encoding on the bottom bar if it guesses it correctly. If not, try going to Encoding -> Character sets -> Cyrillic -> Windows-1251. If that doesn't look correct, try the other encodings in the Cyrillic menu until you find one that looks correct.)
Uka

Post by Uka »

OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 pm This should be fixed in the next daily build. In the meantime, it should work properly if you set the game's language to Russian in the game options.
Ah, thanks! You are right - I saw that the game is added as "Russian Digital/Windows", so I did not notice that the language was set to "default" instead of "Russian".
OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 pmReah doesn't have a Russian language ID so I'll need to add support for that for it to work. Can you provide a few pieces of information?
That md5 command shows this:
Reah.jpg
Reah.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
And when first adding the game to ScummVM, it shows this:
The game in 'Reah\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the vcruise engine: reah-win

{"0170_b.wav", 0, "4632023ed0bab3fc800abfa5ef65ceaf", 119850},
{"Reah.exe", 0, "60ec19c53f1323cc7f0314f98d396283", 304128},
OneEightHundred wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 pm Second, can you open the Speech01.txt file and see what character encoding it is using?
Yes, of course it is Windows-1251.
Uka

Post by Uka »

By the way: it turned out that my problem with "Touche" was exactly the same!
It was a bug in ScummVM that set "English" as a language for the Russian version of the game. It was not even possible to change it there, only by manually editing it in INI.
OneEightHundred

OK, I've added support for that, it should be detected as "English Digital + Russian Community Patch" in the next daily build.
Uka

Post by Uka »

Thanks, that works now.