Full Throttle speech not working?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Johandershmut

Full Throttle speech not working?

Post by Johandershmut »

Hello Gang

I have a minor issue with my Full Throttle game on Scummvm but this is relatively new as when i first downloaded the game I'm sure i didnt have this issue. Essentially all the sound works, the narration, the music, the sound effects, but what adlib/voice acting doesnt work and its bugging me. I am running windows 10 on a laptop, no external speakers or anything just bog standard. adlib is working on other games such as simon 2... does anybody have any ideas. cheers
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Full Throttle speech not working?

Post by criezy »

If by "downloaded the game" you mean that you got a pirated version, then our answer is that you will need to buy it.

I suspect the issue you have is related to this change in the 2.6.0 release:
  • New Digital iMUSE engine. Support for re-compressed audio files dropped in Full Throttle, The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island.
This means that if you have a compressed speech file, such as 'MONSTER.SO3' or 'MONSTER.SOF', instead or the original uncompressed 'MONSTER.SOU', you will need to copy the original uncompressed file from your original CD. If you don't have the original CD, the files can also be extracted from the Full Throttle Remastered game (available on GOG.com or Steam) using DoubleFine Explorer. See the notes at the bottom of the LucasArts Games section on https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... Arts_Games.

There is also a little bit more information on why support for the compressed audio files was dropped in viewtopic.php?p=96558.
Johandershmut

Post by Johandershmut »

Hi Criezy, thank you for your reply, I have had a look at the files and you are quite right. I have the MONSTER.SOF file. It was quite some time ago I downloaded the game and to be honest I was unaware it was pirated, I felt sure id got it in a free games section. I bet if I looked hard enough at my dads house I could find the disk somewhere. Thank you for clearing that up.
adventurefan

Post by adventurefan »

Hi all,

while still being new to ScummVM, I randomly stumbled on this thread. I’d like to piggyback specifically on the following quote:
criezy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:28 pm I suspect the issue you have is related to this change in the 2.6.0 release:
  • New Digital iMUSE engine. Support for re-compressed audio files dropped in Full Throttle, The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island.
This means that if you have a compressed speech file, such as 'MONSTER.SO3' or 'MONSTER.SOF', instead or the original uncompressed 'MONSTER.SOU', you will need to copy the original uncompressed file from your original CD. If you don't have the original CD, the files can also be extracted from the Full Throttle Remastered game (available on GOG.com or Steam) using DoubleFine Explorer. (...)
I checked my game files for those three games (The Dig, Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island) and while I have the Monster.SOU (the uncompressed file) for Full Throttle, I don’t have any .SOU for either The Dig or Curse of Monkey Island. In fact, I have the exact files which are referenced on the Wiki Pages for Dig and Curse (and the games are also properly detected in 2.7.0). But there are no .SOU listed in the Wiki for both. :?

My question is: how can I ensure that I have the (newly) required soundfile(s) for Dig and Curse, which are apparently needed since the 2.6.0 release (as mentioned in the Release Notes)?

I checked all my files and the only .SOU files I have in my library were:

- Indy 4 Fate of Atlantis (“INDY4.SOU”)
- Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle (all “MONSTER.SOU”)

So, maybe I understood something wrong, but could someone clarify which (uncompressed) soundfiles are exactly needed for Dig and Curse since 2.6.0 using the new iMUSE Engine?

Many thanks!
Last edited by adventurefan on Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

adventurefan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm My question is: how can I ensure that I have the (newly) required soundfile(s) for Dig and Curse, which are apparently needed since the 2.6.0 release (as mentioned in the Release Notes)?
If you have the required files as mentioned in the wiki pages for each game, you should be good to go.

As criezy wrote above, the basic process to ensure this, is either copy the files from the original CDs or install the game's from your GOG or Stream library. Some games may require an extra extraction step (the games that got the remastered treatment) but this is not your case here.

As I understand it, in order to get unsupported sound files, you'd need to have at some point used a third party tool (or a ScummVM tool) to compress those files yourself. If you didn't do this, and you own an original copy of the games (digital or physical) you should be fine.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

adventurefan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm I checked my game files for those three games (The Dig, Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island) and while I have the Monster.SOU (the uncompressed file) for Full Throttle, I don’t have any .SOU for either The Dig or Curse of Monkey Island.
Indeed, the original post was about Full Throttle so I only mentioned that one, but the files are different for each game. For The Dig for example the audio is in the .BUN files. As long as you have all the files listed on the wiki, the game should work properly.
adventurefan

Post by adventurefan »

Understood, many thanks for clarifying & confirming, Praetorian and Thierry! 8) Yes, I have the original files on an .ISO from my original game CDs, so I will continue to use the (sound-) files as mentioned in the Wiki. Consider it solved! :wink: