[Solved] Broken Sword 1+2: game data not found after ScummVM restart

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

adventurefan

[Solved] Broken Sword 1+2: game data not found after ScummVM restart

Post by adventurefan »

Hi everyone, new to the forums and new to ScummVM :)

(macOS 13.2.1, ScummVM 2.7.0)

I have a strange behaviour when trying to play my two favourite childhood games: Broken Sword 1 and 2.

My folder structure for Broken Sword 1 (Windows CD) looks like:

Code: Select all

/gamedir/CLUSTERS/
-> contains all *.CLU and SWORDRES.RIF

/gamedir/MUSIC/
-> contains all .WAV except 2M29.WAV

/gamedir/SMACKSHI/
-> contains all .SMK

/gamedir/SPEECH/
-> contains both .CLF
When adding the gamedir for BS1, the game is properly detected and I am able to start the game. However, when I exit the game, quit ScummVM and with the next launch of ScummVM, BS1 is greyed out in the UI list and when trying to launch the game, I get an error pop-up with “Error running game: game data not found”. See screenshots for reference.

The exact same thing happens with Broken Sword 2. All required files for that game are in a single gamedir, the game is detected after adding, is playable after that and after the next exit and relaunch, it is also greyed out in the UI and cannot be started with the same error as BS1.

I have seen the note in the Wiki for BS1 (“Since ScummVM 2.7.0 the folder structure from the original media needs to be preserved”), but even with the subdirectories, this error occurs. I don’t think it is related since a specific folder structure is not required with BS2 and I am having this issue with the successor as well.

These are the only two games that have this issue, all other games I have added do not have this problem and are playable even with a restart of the ScummVM app.

So my question is: did I overlook something? Am I doing something wrong when adding BS1 and BS2?

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
game-data-not-found.png
game-data-not-found.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
broken_sword_ui.png
broken_sword_ui.png (80.63 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Last edited by adventurefan on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Broken Sword 1+2: game data not found after ScummVM restart

Post by sev »

adventurefan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:29 pm So my question is: did I overlook something? Am I doing something wrong when adding BS1 and BS2?
The game gets greyed out when the game directory does not exist.

Could you please check what "gamepath" is written for your sword1 entry?

At least in the past, we had problems with some of the paths with UTF (non-Latin) characters, so check for that in the game path.

Eugene
adventurefan

Post by adventurefan »

sev wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:54 pm Could you please check what "gamepath" is written for your sword1 entry?

At least in the past, we had problems with some of the paths with UTF (non-Latin) characters, so check for that in the game path.
Thanks Eugene! I checked the path entries for both sword1 and sword2. This is how they get displayed in the the UI:

/Users/fabian/Personal/Emulation/ScummVM/Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars
/Users/fabian/Personal/Emulation/ScummVM/Broken Sword II - The Smoking Mirror

Blank spaces and/or dashes are no problem with other games I have added. There are no other weird characters I have used...
Attachments
path-sword1.jpg
path-sword1.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
adventurefan

Post by adventurefan »

Update: Solved! Made another test and changed the gamedirectory names to something without blank spaces or dashes (I used the ScummVM game ID as folder name):

"Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars" to "sword1"

and

"Broken Sword II - The Smoking Mirror" to "sword2"

For some reason this is working now and the game path is now detected across ScummVM restart. Again, I have other gamefolders where the root directory for the game contains either blank spaces or has a dash (e.g. /Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge) and there were no issues, so I can only think of that in cases of BS1 and BS2 somehow an unknown character slipped into the folder name. I don't know how, but I'm glad it's working now! :) Will make sure to keep the path- and folder structure as simple as possible in the future.

Thanks for your help, Eugene!
windh

Re: [Solved] Broken Sword 1+2: game data not found after ScummVM restart

Post by windh »

Hi there.

I updated to 2.7.0 and then straight to 2.8.0 (hadn't updated SCUMMVM in a while). Running MacOS 13.2.1 at the moment.

Now I have the same issue with Broken Sword (1 and 2) just as described in this thread.

I have tried to change the name as described in the "solved" comment, but it won't fix it for me. I still cannot start the game with the same error as in the original post of this thread. I even tried to change the name of the game folder itself, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I re-installed the two versions from scratch and that fixed the issue. :mrgreen: