steamdeck and scummvm problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

the19thbear

steamdeck and scummvm problems

Post by the19thbear »

Hi. I installed scummvm via the discover store, on my steamdeck. I then added it to my steam library.
After installation I go to normal steam game mode and run it. I have the steamdeck connected to my tv. It runs, but the text and icons are not being scaled to resolution, meaning that the scummvm interface has such small letters, that it is impossible to read. (via the TV). The icons as well, are super small.
The scummvm menu takes up the whole screen but everything is just tiny.

How can I fix that?

Thanks
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: steamdeck and scummvm problems

Post by Praetorian »

the19thbear wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:00 pm Hi. I installed scummvm via the discover store, on my steamdeck. I then added it to my steam library.
After installation I go to normal steam game mode and run it. I have the steamdeck connected to my tv. It runs, but the text and icons are not being scaled to resolution, meaning that the scummvm interface has such small letters, that it is impossible to read. (via the TV). The icons as well, are super small.
The scummvm menu takes up the whole screen but everything is just tiny.

How can I fix that?

Thanks
Can you provide a bit more info:
- Which ScummVM version is this?
- Can you post a screenshot or photo of you screen?

The typical solution to this issue is to go to Global Options -> GUI -> GUI Scale, and choose one of the "larger" scale options from the dropdown (eg. "Large" or "Very Large"), depending what suits your case.

In recent ScummVM versions (maybe 2.7.0, but definitely on development builds 2.8.0git) we also had some fixes wrt GUI scaling so testing with a new ScummVM version is highly recommended.

Also keep in mind that this scaling will *not* work for the "ScummVM classic theme" specifically. Choose another theme, if your current theme is the classic one.
chrisis

Re: steamdeck and scummvm problems

Post by chrisis »

Try setting graphics modde to OpenGL in global options (under graphics) and restart. This should fix it.
If it looks too big after doing that go to the GUI section in the settings and change GUI scale to medium or small (depending on your preference)