[solved] Syberia (macOS) only detects in English?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mustrum

[solved] Syberia (macOS) only detects in English?

Post by Mustrum »

Has anyone tested Syberia with a language other than English? ScummVM only detects Syberia in English, switching to German (or other language) is not possible.
I have Syberia 1 & 2 on GOG and Steam.

I have seen that there are no languages entered in the detection_tables.h from tetraedge.
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... n_tables.h

Edit:
With new daily build the language option now works in ScummVM/Syberia 1.
Last edited by Mustrum on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GateKeeper

Re: Syberia (macOS) only detects in English?

Post by GateKeeper »

The English language GOG version runs fine for me.

I tried to use the German GOG version to see what happens.
The game is detected, but it is recognised as the English version.

You can't run the game though, because right after hitting the Start button a message appears:

Code: Select all

ERROR: Couldn't find texts/[lang].xml for any language!
As far as switching languages go, I think that's impossible. At least on GOG, even games that have language switching option for other platforms are often language-specific separate downloads for Mac. I'm not sure about Steam.

Anyway, this might be as good a place as any to ask:
would it be possible to have an alternative user interface which would resemble the original UI?

This version seems to be made for iPads I guess, and it's simply too annoying to play with those animated hovering hotspot icons. The original game had a context-sensitive pointer, which showed a different icon over different hotspots. The Mac version with all hotspots being visible everywhere, it's a very distracting experience.
GateKeeper

Re: [solved] Syberia (macOS) only detects in English?

Post by GateKeeper »

WindlePoons wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:37 am Edit:
With new daily build the language option now works in ScummVM/Syberia 1.
Yes, so it seems.
I played the first room in all available languages, and they all work, except for Russian language option. In Russian, they audio is correct, but the fonts on screen aren't cyrillic, so the text is unreadable.

And I can also confirm that at least for Syberia 1 GOG version you don't need to download language versions separately, they are all in the same file set.