Amazon: Guardians of Eden

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordFlux

Amazon: Guardians of Eden

Post by LordFlux »

Hi, guys. Long time lurker/user, first time poster. ^_^

Just recently moved and was going through some old disks and came across my 3.5" floppies of Amazon: Guardians of Eden. I remember this game being a lot of fun and tried to install it, but it looks like the 3rd disk is messed up. :(

Figured this would be the best place to ask -- was this game ever released on CD-ROM? I found the game in CD-ROM format on eBay for $45 and I would gladly pay that if I knew I wasn't getting somebody's bootleg junk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Amazon: Guardians of Eden

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LordFlux wrote: Figured this would be the best place to ask -- was this game ever released on CD-ROM? I found the game in CD-ROM format on eBay for $45 and I would gladly pay that if I knew I wasn't getting somebody's bootleg junk.
I've never heard of it myself, but MobyGames has a picture of a CD version.
LordFlux

Post by LordFlux »

Very cool! Thanks!
lwc

Post by lwc »

This game runs in VGA, but the original version had a VGA/SVGA toggle buton Alt+V, whereas the Super VGA had various benefits like an always-on inventory screen.

Does ScummVM support this game's Super VGA mode?

See screenshots from the original version's manual.
Attachments
svga1.png
svga1.png (373.69 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
svga2.png
svga2.png (327.19 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Last edited by lwc on Wed May 03, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

lwc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:27 pm This game runs in VGA, but the original version had a VGA/SVGA toggle buton Alt+V, whereas the Super VGA had various benefits like an always-on inventory screen.

Does ScummVM supports this game's Super VGA mode?
No, it doesn't. The sub-engine for Amazon is based on a disassembly I did of a PC CD talkie version I had, as I recall. As far as I can remember, I never saw any special code for a SuperVGA mode in it. So it may have been dropped for that release.
lwc

Post by lwc »

dreammaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:45 am No, it doesn't. The sub-engine for Amazon is based on a disassembly I did of a PC CD talkie version I had, as I recall. As far as I can remember, I never saw any special code for a SuperVGA mode in it. So it may have been dropped for that release.
The weird thing is SVGA was one of the game's major selling points, so I wonder if your version was a prototype/beta of some kind. Is there any chance you'll eventually add it?
Last edited by lwc on Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

lwc wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:34 pm The weird thing is SVGA was one of the game's major selling points, so I wonder if your version was a prototype/beta or some kind. Is there any chance you'll eventually add it?
It's always possible, shrug. As to adding it in, probably not, unless someone else decides to do it. I've already got a large backlog of games I want to work on. And supporting it might require further disassembly of an appropriate release version of the game, which means it might be non trivial to properly figure out.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dreammaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:45 am No, it doesn't. The sub-engine for Amazon is based on a disassembly I did of a PC CD talkie version I had, as I recall. As far as I can remember, I never saw any special code for a SuperVGA mode in it. So it may have been dropped for that release.
My CD version, as well as the one GOG sells, have that graphics mode when running in DOSBox, and they do have speech during conversations at least. (Can you tell I'm not at all familiar with the game?) So at any rate, I guess it wasn't dropped from all CD versions. It's way beyond my abilities to add support for it in ScummVM, though.
lwc

Post by lwc »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:31 pm My CD version, as well as the one GOG sells, have that graphics mode when running in DOSBox, and they do have speech during conversations at least. (Can you tell I'm not at all familiar with the game?) So at any rate, I guess it wasn't dropped from all CD versions. It's way beyond my abilities to add support for it in ScummVM, though.
Alright, so now that it's confirmed, I've submitted a feature request, so maybe someone else will volunteer some day. :)
lwc

Post by lwc »

lwc wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:45 pm Alright, so now that it's confirmed, I've submitted a feature request, so maybe someone else will volunteer some day. :)
Shouldn't this be officially considered for Google Summer of Code 2024? Why implementing whole new engines before finally integrating the better version of this game?

If any candidates read this, please remember you can alternatively do this through Bring your own Adventure or RPG Reimplementation (only existing games).
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

lwc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:35 pm Shouldn't this be officially considered for Google Summer of Code 2024? Why implementing whole new engines before finally integrating the better version of this game?
Please provide the original game sources, and we will consider including the game in the list of potential GSoC projects.

Eugene
lwc

Post by lwc »

Isn't it the same source as the original version since they come in the same EXE file and get switched in real time with a click of a button?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

lwc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:35 pm Why implementing whole new engines before finally integrating the better version of this game?
Because the group comprises of volunteers, contributing to the project in our spare time. FWIW: I'm the primary author of the Access engine; though at the time I didn't think the release I disassembled had the functionality, since that I time I had cause to look again, and I recall that it did actually, and I just overlooked it. In any case, I don't personally currently have any plans to work on it, until and unless I ever get around to adding support for the other Access games like Mean Streets, since I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the codebase and further time disassembling the executable. I currently have other projects I'm working on, like Orion Burger.
lwc

Post by lwc »

In that case if you can make sure other volunteers have that source code, maybe they'll be interested.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

lwc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:05 pm In that case if you can make sure other volunteers have that source code, maybe they'll be interested.
You misunderstand. There is no source code. Any attempt to support it would require disassembling those bits of the original executable from scratch. But if anyone volenteers to do the work, then we'll definitely support their efforts.