Having issues with audio settings, especially with MT-32 and Day of the Tentacle

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cyber Akuma

Having issues with audio settings, especially with MT-32 and Day of the Tentacle

Post by Cyber Akuma »

I am having a few issues when trying to setup MT-32 emulation, I have been Googling for the last two hours and was not able to find much information on this, and what little I could find is from years ago that does not even apply to the current versions of ScummVM anymore.

First thing I wanted to ask, I know that some games supported the additional features of the CM-32L and many did not, but many of those that did not might not sound right on a CM-32L due to relying on bugs in the MT-32 that were patched in later revisions and the CM-32L itself. Is there any sort of auto-select these days for this kind of thing or do I need to configure each game manually if I want it to use MT-32 or CM-32L? If there is nothing automatic, is there a way to set MT-32 as the default instead of CM-32L and only have CM-32L for the games I manually set it for (E.G. if I put either the MT or CM files in the folder for the game itself, will that override the global ones in the ScummVM Extra folder)?

Second is that I noticed that any time I launch any game that supports the MT-32, for some reason the "Override Global Audio Settings" option gets selected with whatever my global options at the time I launched the game were. If I un-select it then launch the game again it gets re-selected.

And lastly I am having an odd time trying to get MT-32 emulation to work with Day of the Tentacle. I am using the Floppy version as the CD version is a bit of work to get working with MT-32. I have the Global MT-32 tab set to "MT-32 Emulation" and the Audio tab I have "Preferred Audio Device" just set to "<default>". This seems to work fine for other MT-32 supported games. I tried out Secret of Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, Simon the Sorcerer, and Loom and they all played MT-32 music just fine. When I try Day of the Tentacle however it just plays standard MiDi. If I try to set Preferred Audio Device to "MT-32 Emulation" to force it either in Global or the game-specific settings, it just get silence in place of the music. Sound effects still work, but music does not play at all.

Also, I read that the console is supposed to show the MT-32 status in it while the emulation is active, but I don't see it mention anything like that at all. Not sure if that was outdated information.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Having issues with audio settings, especially with MT-32 and Day of the Tentacle

Post by Praetorian »

Could you clarify a few details for us?
- What is the version of ScummVM you are testing with?
- What platform(s) and OS version(s) are you testing on? (eg. Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04, Android 11 etc)
- Which engines (please specify a few, or at least the game titles) have the issue with the auto-override of global audio settings?
Cyber Akuma

Re: Having issues with audio settings, especially with MT-32 and Day of the Tentacle

Post by Cyber Akuma »

Windows 10
Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, The Secret of Monkey Island, The Dig
Agozerosu

Post by Agozerosu »

For easier switching between MT-32 and CM-32L, do what I do:
Place the required files for MT-32 in ScummVM's main folder and set your Global Options so that MT-32 is the preferred audio device. Place the CM-32L files in ScummVM's "extra" folder. Now, when you have a game that specifically uses CM-32L, use the game's own Game Options --> Paths, and tell ScummVM to use the files in the extra path for that game.

For me MT-32 works across the board if I set the Preferred Audio Device to MT-32 as well as the MT-32 Device to the MT-32 Emulator.