Is there any hope to move cursor in games via D-pad?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Zalo

Is there any hope to move cursor in games via D-pad?

Post by Zalo »

Hello there! I'm new here. I am aware that NDS version of ScummVM has been here for a while and I am kinda digging up dinosuars over here but still !!!

I recently got myself my very first DSi XL console (my first nintendo console) and I had a great blast playing so many wonderful Strategy games. Even more after I discovered that my favourite PC games from 1990's have somehow found their place here via ridiculously well optimised work of the genius who allowed me to play them in this emulator.

That being said, 90% of my favourite DS games do not require stylus to play and it feels wonderful when you are not forced to hold that 1/3 kilogram gadget in one hand and keep your other hand with stylus high in the air for 1-2 hours. Maybe I'm getting old but that is what makes games like Age of Empires: Age of Kings & AoE: Mythologies & Civilisation: Revoution so relaxing to play.

I know what you might say "Hey, you got DS for f**** sake, it was meant for stylus". Yes, except what am I supposed to do if I cannot finish my very first stage in King's Quest V, since such games require me to click at the edge of the game's screen in order to go to the next location ;-; The touchpad in my DSi XL no longer works when you press the area too close to the edge of the screen (lwithin 5-7 pixels from it). What is more, in some games you wish to move cursor over the objects to view information, but your stylus would end up just "clicking" on them by accident.

ScummVM already allows users to move the mouse cursor via D-pad or XYAB buttons in its internal menu via KeyMapping + assign Left/Right click. On D-pad it works great! As soon as you transition into the game itself, the KeyMapping no longer allows you to assign the cursor controls to any keys (To neither D-pad, nor XYAB). I'm not sure why. I am aware that there might be some games that use arrows but I haven't really seen them & I still have 8 other buttons to assign them to anyway.

It would be wonderful if it was possible to make. Thanks for your time to read my post.
ccawley2011

Re: Is there any hope to move cursor in games via D-pad?

Post by ccawley2011 »

If you select the “Game options” button in the launcher and switch to the Keymaps tab, you’ll find a separate list of actions specific to the game. These override actions in the global keymap, so you’ll need to clear any actions that use the D-Pad before you can use it for the virtual mouse.
Zalo

Post by Zalo »

ccawley2011 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:54 pm If you select the “Game options” button in the launcher and switch to the Keymaps tab, you’ll find a separate list of actions specific to the game. These override actions in the global keymap, so you’ll need to clear any actions that use the D-Pad before you can use it for the virtual mouse.
Wow, It works! (O_o) I can't describe how grateful I am that you helped me out, my good dude. Now I can experience all of those great games :' ) You deserve a medal!
jrjim

Post by jrjim »

Didn't know about this, very helpful, I'll be using D-pad too.