Heroine's Quest - exe File on Mac

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jsantiago44

Heroine's Quest - exe File on Mac

Post by jsantiago44 »

I'm running an Intel Mac with OS Ventura 13.1. ScummVM 2.6.1.

I downloaded the latest version of Heroine's Quest that was linked to from the creator's website [https://radiant.itch.io/heroines-quest], which downloads as a single .exe file. I have not been able to get the game to install in ScummVM. I've checked the ScummVM compatibility page [https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=AGS/Games] and saw that Heroine's Quest was marked as "good", but I looked closer and saw that the version that was tested was the Steam version, and I can't access that version from a Mac (only the PC version is available from Steam). I've tried creating an ISO file out of the exe file, but to no avail.

Has anyone had success running this game on a Mac?

Thank you
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Heroine's Quest - exe File on Mac

Post by criezy »

The page you link to in itch.io has two downloads, one Windows installer (.exe) that you need to run to install the game, and a zip file for the Linux version. I suggest that you take the zip file; it is a lot easier to extract on macOS.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

How are you getting the data files for the game on Mac from the exe? Have you installed the game on a Windows PC using the executable and copied them over to the Mac? (I've tried extracting the exe but 7z seems unable to do so).

Wouldn't it be easier to use the "zip" file that is provided for Linux, and extract the data in a folder, then point ScummVM (preferrably a stable 2.7.0 or a development 2.8git) at that. I've tested this with 2.8git and it's detected ok --and actually seems that it's identical to the Steam version, since our detection code names it "Steam".
jsantiago44

Post by jsantiago44 »

criezy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 am The page you link to in itch.io has two downloads, one Windows installer (.exe) that you need to run to install the game, and a zip file for the Linux version. I suggest that you take the zip file; it is a lot easier to extract on macOS.
Thanks to both of you. That solution worked! I was having trouble extracting the game files from the .exe, but the Linux download had a folder with all the game files. All I had to do was point ScummVM to the unzipped folder.