Myst3 crash

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CQCQ42

Myst3 crash

Post by CQCQ42 »

I get a hard crash when I try to go down the stairs from the 'horn' house. Is there another path I can take?
Originally, myst3 would not run. Following the wiki I tried to find the "OVER101.m3o" file, but couldn't. (Not on original discs.)
So I just created an empty file by that name and myst3 started! Just wondering if the crash may be related to this file being empty.
Attachments
myst3.png
myst3.png (558.64 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Myst3 crash

Post by criezy »

I think the "OVER101.m3o" file is indeed missing from some versions, such as the original US CD version. But you can get it by installing the 1.22 patch available from https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... CD_version (if you already tried before, our links were outdated and I just fixed them).
CQCQ42

Post by CQCQ42 »

I ran the patch and copied the OVER101.m3o file to my M3Data folder.
No joy. Still crashes at the point shown.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

CQCQ42 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:08 am I ran the patch and copied the OVER101.m3o file to my M3Data folder.
No joy. Still crashes at the point shown.
Could you provide a few more details on the issue, like:
- What is the ScummVM version you're running? Have you tried using a daily development build (2.8.0git)?
- What platform and operating system version are you running on?
- What is the version of your Myst 3 (ie. language, and CD or DVD edition (or digital?))
- What are the details of the crash?
- Is there anything related in the ScummVM log?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

@Praetorian: I just tried my copy of Myst 3 on Linux am64 with the latest master i.e. 8b648e30f42287cbb2123cd590290d4dec19a3f.

Since those stairs are in the first part of the game just after you link from Atrus's Study to the new zone, off to the left i.e. the "horn" house, it was easy to get to that point. No crash or any issues when I reach those stairs and move up and down. I have the OVER101.m3o patch applied and I think the ScummVM myst3 engine would complain at startup if this is not present, so not sure what is happening here. I tend to blame "user error" unless more details are provided to allow this to be replicated.