monkey4 game ID not supported

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rumbin

monkey4 game ID not supported

Post by rumbin »

Dear community,

I am facing a strange issue: "Escape from Monkey Island" (grim:minkey4) stopped working.
It used to work before and I did not change anything on my side besides getting automatic updates of ScummVM.

Error message:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'monkey4-win-de' (engine ID 'grim', game ID 'monkey4')...
   Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Grim
Running Escape From Monkey Island (Windows/German)
artAll.m4b: 007a33881478be6b6e0228d8888536ae, 18512568 bytes.
WARNING: Grim failed to instantiate engine: Game id not supported (Escape from Monkey Island support is not compiled in) (target 'monkey4-win-de', path '/home/biephi/spiele/scummvm_games/escape_from_monkey_island')!

I used to use the daily builds of the snap packages and also tried the stable version:

$ snap info scummvm
name:    scummvm
summary: ScummVM is a program which allows you to run numerous classic graphical point-and-click
  adventure games and role-playing games
publisher: Snapcrafters
store-url: https://snapcraft.io/scummvm
license:   GPL-2.0
description: |
  ScummVM is a program which allows you to run a wide variety of classic graphical point-and-click
  adventure games and role-playing games, provided you already have their data files. The clever
  part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the game, allowing you to play
  them on systems for which they were never designed!

Currently, ScummVM supports a huge library of adventures with over 250 games in total. It supports
  many classics published by legendary studios like LucasArts, Sierra On-Line, Revolution Software,
  Cyan, Inc. and Westwood Studios. Next to ground-breaking titles like the Monkey Island series,
  Broken Sword, Myst, Blade Runner and countless other games you will find some really obscure
  adventures and truly hidden gems to explore.

This snap is maintained by the Snapcrafters community and the ScummVM Team.
commands:
  - scummvm
services:
  scummvm.daemon: simple, disabled, inactive
snap-id:      wXpsTyUtxXJ6aqnqhWRi0d3WwqzrD1Yv
tracking:     latest/stable
refresh-date: today at 17:58 CET
channels:
  latest/stable:    2.6.1                      2022-10-31 (6283) 680MB -
  latest/candidate: ↑                                                  
  latest/beta:      2.6.1                      2022-10-31 (6283) 680MB -
  latest/edge:      2.7.0git-4001-g5def1ad0273 2022-11-05 (6292) 680MB -
installed:          2.6.1                                 (6283) 680MB -

In my understanding, the grim engine should be supported in the installed version:

$ scummvm --list-games | grep grim
glk:jgrim                      Jonathan Grimshaw: Space Tourist
grim:grim                      Grim Fandango
grim:monkey4                   Escape From Monkey Island
As said, some months ago, on a previous nightly build, the game was running on this setup, so the game's directory structure should not be the cause:

$ scummvm --detect
+ [ -z /home/biephi/snap/scummvm/6283/.config ]
+ snapctl is-connected audio-playback
+ mkdir -p /run/user/1000/snap.scummvm/speech-dispatcher
+ /snap/scummvm/6283/usr/bin/speech-dispatcher -d -C /snap/scummvm/6283/etc/speech-dispatcher -S /run/user/1000/snap.scummvm/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock -m /snap/scummvm/6283/usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules -t 30
[Sun Nov  6 20:45:51 2022 : 95162] speechd: Speech Dispatcher 0.9.1 starting
+ [ ! -f /home/biephi/snap/scummvm/6283/.config/scummvm/scummvm.ini ]
+ [ ! -f /home/biephi/snap/scummvm/6283/.config/scummvm/.added-games-bundle ]
+ exec /snap/scummvm/6283/usr/local/bin/scummvm --detect
GameID                         Description                                                Full Path
------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
grim:monkey4                   Escape From Monkey Island (Windows/German)                 /home/biephi/spiele/scummvm_games/escape_from_monkey_island
Can anyone give me a hint to why grim:monkey4 does not seem to be supported any longer? What can I do for further debugging or for solving the issue?

Any help is welcome...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: monkey4 game ID not supported

Post by Raziel »

If I understand it correctly EMI was marked unstable (due to a numerous amount of still not fixed bugs) and hence taken out of the supported games.

It will be back eventually, but for now it's unavailable.

You can still compile your own version with EMI enabled though
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

rumbin wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:48 pm Can anyone give me a hint to why grim:monkey4 does not seem to be supported any longer? What can I do for further debugging or for solving the issue?

Any help is welcome...
Automatic updates work for stable releases only. Monkey 4 (Escape from Monkey Island) is not supported in stable releases.

It should be still supported in daily development builds (first column on buildbot page titled "ScummVM latest
Branch master", currently version 2.7.0git). I've just tested this on the Windows build (Windows (64 bits)) with the GOG English version of the game.
rumbin

Post by rumbin »

Thanks a lot for your replies!
I'll try daily builds or self-compiled then and report back...
rumbin

Post by rumbin »

It worked!
Just compiled scummvm myself, with all engines enabled.
Now I only struggle with the Wiimote controller not working, although the nightly snap build seems to detect the Wiimote buttons correctly.
But this is probably better discussed in a separate thread...
HaikoB

Post by HaikoB »

Hello,

yesterday i tested the 2.7.0 with win10 and EMI worked.

today i tested the same version 2.7.0 with ubuntu from snap store.
after starting the game -> Game ID not supported (Escape from Monkey Island support is not compiled in)

what can i do ??? Thank you
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

HaikoB wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 am Hello,

yesterday i tested the 2.7.0 with win10 and EMI worked.

today i tested the same version 2.7.0 with ubuntu from snap store.
after starting the game -> Game ID not supported (Escape from Monkey Island support is not compiled in)

what can i do ??? Thank you
ScummVM 2.7.0 (stable) is not officially released yet. Soon, but not yet. Only daily development builds are "2.7.0git".

It looks like whatever version is on the snap store (it seems unlikely to me that they'd put a development build there, but I can't say 100% sure), it does not have EMI support as the message states.

Also note, I don't think the 2.7.0 stable will get EMI support. My impression at least is that it will remain in development builds for now, since there are quite a few known bugs for it.
HaikoB

Post by HaikoB »

Hello,

the version from snap is 2.7.0git Linux Ubuntu

now i compiled it by myself s from the daily git self compiling, and i read after "configure"

-> ... Engines skipped: ... grim (Escape from Monkey Island) ...

:-(
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

If you're compiling yourself, did you use configure --enable-all-engines ? That should activate everything even if it's marked non-stable.
HaikoB

Post by HaikoB »

KuroShiro wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:39 pm If you're compiling yourself, did you use configure --enable-all-engines ? That should activate everything even if it's marked non-stable.
Thank you :-) !!! Now it starts on my Ubuntu computer :-) ...
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:12 am It looks like whatever version is on the snap store (it seems unlikely to me that they'd put a development build there, but I can't say 100% sure), it does not have EMI support as the message states.
The Ubuntu Snap store contains two versions: The current stable release (which is installed by default) and the current git release (updated daily). But the daily build is kept in the

edge
channel, so it won't be installed unless specified.