How much free space needed on a SD Android TV ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MarkAmiga500

How much free space needed on a SD Android TV ?

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Hi everyones

I tried several time to install scummVM but it just dont finish the installation

right now AFTER having downloaded scummvm-2.6.1 android-x86.apk (85mb)
i have only 381 Mb free on my TV SD

How much space in MB i need to fully install it ?

EDIT : ALSO wich version i should download if my Aida64 app say my Android TV specs are :
4x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1800 Mhz
64 Bits ARMv8-A (Mode 32 Bits)
armeabi-v7a, armeabi

?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: How much free space needed on a SD Android TV ?

Post by Praetorian »

MarkAmiga500 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:04 pm Hi everyones

I tried several time to install scummVM but it just dont finish the installation

right now AFTER having downloaded scummvm-2.6.1 android-x86.apk (85mb)
i have only 381 Mb free on my TV SD

How much space in MB i need to fully install it ?

EDIT : ALSO wich version i should download if my Aida64 app say my Android TV specs are :
4x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1800 Mhz
64 Bits ARMv8-A (Mode 32 Bits)
armeabi-v7a, armeabi

?
Hello, the size for full installation would not be much different from our apk size. The total size of the raw files inside the apk is about 1MB larger.

For your TV the APK that would work is the arm-v7a (aka the one for 32bit arm). On our downloads page it is labeled "Android ARMv7a package (82.3 MiB .apk, last update: 2022-10-25 ...)"

Note that we've had a few reports that even though the Android port of ScummVM will install and launch on some Android TVs, there are a few cases where you won't be able to control the cursor or choose anything. (I believe this may be fixed on the upcoming 2.7.0 release, but I am not 100% sure).
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

@Praetorian

Thanks you so much for your clear answer !
I have not installed it yet
but will try tonight (in couples of minutes)

It is possible to use the app with a wireless controller like the PS4 controller ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

MarkAmiga500 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:18 am @Praetorian

Thanks you so much for your clear answer !
I have not installed it yet
but will try tonight (in couples of minutes)

It is possible to use the app with a wireless controller like the PS4 controller ?
It could work, provided that you can connect your PS4 controller to your TV directly, but I have not tested it. (I also don't have a PS4 controller).

If you try it, let us know whether it worked or not.
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

FANTASTIC !!
IT WORK :)

Okay I will connect my USB stick with my scummvm games folder and will give you update in couples of minutes
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Everything seem to work flawlessly

ONE single issue...

I dont own a smart phone or any "touch screen" device
it would be extremely appreciated for owner of Android TV to have a version WITHOUT the index finger option on the top right of the screen.

Im not able to close this fonction and having this on the screen truly affect how we enjoy the experience

Something can be done in this regard ?

maybe adding a download in Android section specifying " ANDROID TV / WITHOUT TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY FONCTION " ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

MarkAmiga500 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:08 am maybe adding a download in Android section specifying " ANDROID TV / WITHOUT TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY FONCTION " ?
From the ScummVM launcher, go to "Global Options", then "Backend" Tab, uncheck the "Show On-screen control" checkbox and click "Apply" or "OK". Is this what you'd want?

Note that since this will make the control disappear, you should check that the dropdown options that follow in the same tab are set correctly. I mean the "In menus", "In 2D games", "In 3D games" options. Also note that some "3D games" (actually 3D engines) will require mouse cursor control instead of tank control for movement or interactions; this is true for example for Myst 3, while others won't support mouse at all. Which is why an on-screen selection is needed, at least until the user sets a game specific control scheme.

Also disabling the on-screen controls will remove the "menu" icon, so you will have to access it another way, if the game you're playing provides such a shortcut itself. And it will remove the ability to bring up the on-screen keyboard on demand (which is currently tied to long-press of the touch control icon). The keyboard icon should still be brought up automatically when clicking to a text field though, so this shouldn't be much of an issue (if you find cases that this does not work as it should, please report them as a possible bug).
MarkAmiga500

Post by MarkAmiga500 »

Super :)
ok i will test couples games to see..