7th Guest: Missing tittle music when using enhanced soundtrack

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vanfanel

7th Guest: Missing tittle music when using enhanced soundtrack

Post by vanfanel »

Hi,

I have 7th Guest working without problems on Scummvm: all musics play as expected, be it the ripper track1.ogg and track2.ogg or the MIDI soundtrack.

Then, I found about this enhanced soundtrack: https://www.pixelrefresh.com/product/th ... oundtrack/
Sounds nice and everything, but as soon as I deploy it, the tittle music of the game is missing: only the intro and in-game music plays. I am NOT overwriting anything: the enhanced soundtrack includes track01.ogg, which is 0 bytes.

So, is something missing from that enhanced soundtrack? Not very important for me, but I bet the author of the enhanced soundtrack put some work into it and would like to know.

Does anybody know what's at play here?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: 7th Guest: Missing tittle music when using enhanced soundtrack

Post by Praetorian »

The following quote is from the page you linked. Perhaps this is the cause of your issue? Did you extract the first track from the original game and name it intro.ogg? I suppose you already had the track as ogg, according to your post, so maybe you'd only need to rename the file with the intro music.
You will also need to extract the first track off The 7th Guest’s game CD, which is the introduction music. You can choose any format that ScummVM is compatible with such as ogg, mp3 and so on. Name this track intro.*** (*** should be the file extension of your chosen audio compression codec, for example intro.mp3).

If you previously extracted the Audio CD music before adding my music enhancement tracks, make sure you don’t have any stray files by removing track1.*** and track2.*** – otherwise this might stop the updated soundtrack playing correctly.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:15 pm The following quote is from the page you linked. Perhaps this is the cause of your issue? Did you extract the first track from the original game and name it intro.ogg? I suppose you already had the track as ogg, according to your post, so maybe you'd only need to rename the file with the intro music.
You will also need to extract the first track off The 7th Guest’s game CD, which is the introduction music. You can choose any format that ScummVM is compatible with such as ogg, mp3 and so on. Name this track intro.*** (*** should be the file extension of your chosen audio compression codec, for example intro.mp3).

If you previously extracted the Audio CD music before adding my music enhancement tracks, make sure you don’t have any stray files by removing track1.*** and track2.*** – otherwise this might stop the updated soundtrack playing correctly.
That was it! I had not renamed track1.ogg from the CD to intro.ogg... Why didn't I see that in the text? No idea, sometimes diagonal reading can be a problem.

What about the audio track on the second CD? I have it as track2.ogg right now, but I can't see it has to be renamed or anything on the page or instructions.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

As far as I can tell from the instructions you don't need the track2.ogg that you have from the second CD. In fact you should not have an old "stray" track2.ogg in your folder where the enhanced music is.

I suppose the enhanced music covers that one.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:55 am As far as I can tell from the instructions you don't need the track2.ogg that you have from the second CD. In fact you should not have an old "stray" track2.ogg in your folder where the enhanced music is.

I suppose the enhanced music covers that one.
Ok, I guess it's time to finish the game and check that the enhanced music does indeed cover the ending theme! Thanks :wink: