Grim Fandango Randomly Doesn't Load on RetroPie

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TPR

Grim Fandango Randomly Doesn't Load on RetroPie

Post by TPR »

I have Grim Fandango up and running on the RetroPie version of ScummVM and I can play it and it loads up just fine...

Until it doesn't...

It seems like about every ten times or so I load up the game, it stops loading and just crashes right back to Emulation Station and the only way to get it running again is to re-install it using the launcher.

I open up another game, go to the launcher, Add the game, choose the folder, launch the game and then it will work just fine...

Then about a half a dozen or so loading up the game, it just stops working and I have to re-install it all over again.

I have not had this issue with any other game, just Grim Fandango. Everything else seems to work just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Grim Fandango Randomly Doesn't Load on RetroPie

Post by Praetorian »

I am not sure about how Emulation Station works. Does it load up the latest stable version of ScummVM? Are there log files kept for ScummVM?

Could you test with ScummVM standalone instead of using Emulation Station? Use the latest stable (2.6.0) or a daily development build (2.7.0git). Check the ScummVM log file if the game crashes again. It may contain useful info to debug the issue or, at least, indicate what possibly went wrong with your specific configuration and setup.
TPR

Post by TPR »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:30 am I am not sure about how Emulation Station works. Does it load up the latest stable version of ScummVM? Are there log files kept for ScummVM?

Could you test with ScummVM standalone instead of using Emulation Station? Use the latest stable (2.6.0) or a daily development build (2.7.0git). Check the ScummVM log file if the game crashes again. It may contain useful info to debug the issue or, at least, indicate what possibly went wrong with your specific configuration and setup.
I am using the stand alone version of ScummVM on the RetroPie not the Retro-arch version. I just didn't know if there was some common known issue with this game on the RetroPie. I did search the group and didn't come up with anything so I just was wondering if anyone had known a reason why it wouldn't work all of a sudden or if there were better options settings to be using with the game on the RetroPie.

Everything else I have works just fine with no issues.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

We still need the ScummVM version that you are testing with, as well as the ScummVM log contents when the Grim Fandango game stops loading.