*UPDATES!* ESRGAN AI Upscaling (HiRes packs now possible!)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nachazo

Re: *UPDATES!* ESRGAN AI Upscaling (HiRes packs now possible!)

Post by nachazo »

Thanks! I'm waiting for ScummVM devs opinion/help (bad dates for this things anyway! :D)
invwar

Post by invwar »

NVidia made their RTX Technology now also available for Videos. Don't expect yet wonders as you can see with DLSS2, but DLSS1 was also back then just a simple super sampling, before it started to really shine with DLSS2. But as you might wonder, I made a [url=
first comparison video for you. The biggest difference here you see I think with the leather chair, but in general it is not MUCH better. But in general I have to say it feels better, but this might be just a feeling, as its harder to see in the video. But this might be also because of some effects lost in the process too.
I hope NVidia is working more on their models and it will in a few years maybe shine as DLSS2.

I have also checked with newer videos with a proper HD source, which I then set to the infamous 360p mode. They still look terrible, but you can see here much more details and formost typical high scaling effects like super smoothened faces.
Haravikk

Post by Haravikk »

invwar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:34 pm NVidia made their RTX Technology now also available for Videos. Don't expect yet wonders as you can see with DLSS2, but DLSS1 was also back then just a simple super sampling, before it started to really shine with DLSS2. But as you might wonder, I made a [url=
first comparison video for you. The biggest difference here you see I think with the leather chair, but in general it is not MUCH better. But in general I have to say it feels better, but this might be just a feeling, as its harder to see in the video. But this might be also because of some effects lost in the process too.
I hope NVidia is working more on their models and it will in a few years maybe shine as DLSS2.

I have also checked with newer videos with a proper HD source, which I then set to the infamous 360p mode. They still look terrible, but you can see here much more details and formost typical high scaling effects like super smoothened faces.
Came by to the forums wondering about the same kind of thing; I use FSR (Fidelity FX Super Resolution) in newer video games like Cyberpunk 2077 because it lets me upscale from 720p or 1080p rendering to run at 1440p resolution and the result is generally very good, giving me a better overall picture on my limited hardware (not powerful enough to render natively at 1440p, at least not without a lot of heat and noise).

Obviously upscaling individual art assets and running games using more advanced AI upscaling will give better results, but that's a very time consuming process that has to be done for each game. While it might theoretically be possible to add a generic method to ScummVM to "pre-scale" assets for later use, it seems like more of a long term goal to me.

But if ScummVM could implement a basic form of FSR on final frames (which should work on all recent graphics hardware) it would allow many games to display at higher resolutions than they were originally capable of and look a bit better than basic "stretched" upscaling. FSR is designed around an adjustable scaling (up to 100%, so 540p becomes 1080p etc.) as well as adjustable sharpening of the result so we could still tweak for a sharper or softer look. The most complicated part would be feeding FSR with whatever motion data it expects, but I don't believe this is a necessary step (it will work without it, it just might suffer some ghosting on rapid motion). Once implemented users could then toggle this upscaling on or off for individual games, share what results they think work best for their favourite games, and maybe help inform some defaults for games that work well with it?

Once FSR is implemented it seems easy to also then enable DLSS for Nvidia hardware, because the API is essentially the same; many games with FSR or DLSS have DLL files available that allow switching FSR to DLSS or vice versa depending upon hardware (so DLSS-only games can run FSR on AMD hardware, FSR-only games can use DLSS on Nvidia where results are sometimes better etc.). But I think it makes sense to implement FSR first, since it's the most compatible, as DLSS is Nvidia only.

I'd love to try some of my favourite games like Zork Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor to see how they look with some modern upscaling; I'm not expecting miracles of course, but even a 50% increase in resolution could make them look a lot better on bigger screens.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Haravikk wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:06 pm But if ScummVM could implement a basic form of FSR on final frames
This may already be available. As far as I know FSR is nothing more than a shader, and since the 2.7.0 release, shaders can be used in ScummVM to scale games.

However there are different types of shaders and different languages in which shaders can be written. The original AMD FSR is written as a compute shader, and ScumMVM does not support those I think. But it is Open Source and was for example ported as a pixel/vertex slang shader. ScummVM doesn't support that either and you would need a GLSL pixel/vertex shaders. But maybe somebody already ported it to GSLS as well.

So I don't know if FSR specifically exists in a form usable by ScummVM currently, but there are many other shaders you could try and may like.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I played with ComfyUI. This took a lot of tweaking. This image was then upscaled and further enhanced from 1024x768 to 1440x1080 Full HD with Topaz Photo AI.
Enhanced Guybrush and Elaine finale
Enhanced Guybrush and Elaine finale
Guybrus_und_Elaine.png.jpg (353.39 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@LogicDeLuxe

ho.ly.dung.pile :shock:

now my imagination is running wild picturing the rest of the game

mind.blown