Sound skips frequently on 2.5.0

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

elvisish

Sound skips frequently on 2.5.0

Post by elvisish »

I've had rarely any audio skips using ScummVM versions right up through 2.1.0, but updated to 2.5.0 for the FM Townes aspect ratio correction. The sound frequently skips at regular intervals, I've tried adding output_rate=44100 and audio_buffer_size=16384 to my config and it hasn't helped much (besides switching between the super battery plans on DOTT where the audio skip was fixed), it just made it incredibly latent (I tried smaller numbers but anything lower than 8192 made no difference at all).

Anything else I can try?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Sound skips frequently on 2.5.0

Post by Raziel »

What platform is this?
SDL backend?
Does the behaviour is in fullscreen-only or also when windowed?
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Raziel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:00 pm What platform is this?
SDL backend?
Does the behaviour is in fullscreen-only or also when windowed?
Windows x64
OpenGL (and SDL)
Need to try windowed, but so far in fullscreen.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I have the same behaviour on AmigaOS4 SDL backend, but i'm pretty sure my problem is because of some system stuff going on in the background (at least i can make it go away by disabling some stuff), otoh if you got the same behaviour it might very well be some SDL problem.

That's why it would be interesting to know if it's gone when windowed (because it completely is for me).
Also, you only mention scumm based games (FM-Towns and DOTT), is that behaviour also audible in other engines?
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

It still skips, is there any way of changing the audio buffer that would work?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

elvisish wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:43 pm It still skips, is there any way of changing the audio buffer that would work?
Considering it's been about a year since the thread was last active and the issue was reported, do you mean that the issue still persists on a daily development build (2.7.0git) or 2.6.1 (please specify what version you're testing with)?
elvisish

Post by elvisish »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:31 pm
elvisish wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:43 pm It still skips, is there any way of changing the audio buffer that would work?
Considering it's been about a year since the thread was last active and the issue was reported, do you mean that the issue still persists on a daily development build (2.7.0git) or 2.6.1 (please specify what version you're testing with)?
Thanks, there's one or two skips but 2.6.1 seems to solve the problem where it was happening every few seconds.