ScummVM crashes every emulator

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SpongeBat1

ScummVM crashes every emulator

Post by SpongeBat1 »

I've spent the whole day trying to make a bootable ScummVM CDI for Dreamcast and nothing seems to be working. Every time I load it up in an emulator it crashes instantly, and I have no idea if it's an issue with the emulator or because I burnt the CDI wrong. I've been using BootDreams (saving as a DiscJuggler file) and done everything I can to cut down on the file size but nothing's working.

The emulators I've been using are Redream and Demul. Redream will at least run my other Dreamcast CDIs but Demul won't run anything.
Tsomi

Re: ScummVM crashes every emulator

Post by Tsomi »

I think the current instructions for Dreamcast were not updated for some changes which were made in the Dreamcast backend in the last couple of years.

I got it to run in some emulator (can't remember which one, maybe redream) earlier this year, but:
  • I had too enable the "long ISO" option in Bootdreams (not mentioned in the docs, but otherwise some plugins couldn't be found because their names were too long)
  • and I couldn't tell if the `.plg` files needed to be in a plugins/ directory or not. It looks like they do, but the docs don't mention this either. So I copied the .plg files both in the root directory and in a plugins/ directory.
  • I couldn't tell if the provided scumvmm.elf file had any use. I think it's just a build leftover that's not required but… I kept it for the ISO, just in doubt.
  • I think the DiscJuggler format was the only one that would work, but unfortunately that's not in my notes, just some vague memory.
but only a handful of games would run, and I never got it to run on a real Dreamcast. I stopped investigating that after burning several toast CD-Rs.

If someone finds a process that really works from A to Z, submitting an update for https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/othe ... mcast.html could be helpful.

Contacting Marcus Comstedt (which maintains the Dreamcast port) could also help sorting this out, but I believe he's only available through e-mail.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

SIGH. It appears several guides and information was lost from the current wiki version when this was "migrated" to the readthedocs platform:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... ldid=21037

This included the mastering script I added for Linux users to create a good working disc image for use with emulators.

The elf file is used when uploading to the Dreamcast over Serial / Ethernet (you boot off CD with a host program to allow upload). This is useful for development / debug and avoiding a large pile of dead CD-Rs.
SpongeBat1

Post by SpongeBat1 »

I don't have Linux. Is there a way to fix the filename issues in Windows?

I haven't burned anything to an actual disc yet, mainly because I don't want to waste my CD-Rs burning dud images.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Well, you could try using mkisofs / cdrtools / cygwin to Win32 ports, but mileage may vary.

As the docs note from the original wiki:
ISO 9660 filesystem standard. The Dreamcast port does not support filename extensions like RockRidge or Joliet, so the CD mastering software needs to be instructed not to change the filenames to comply to ISO 9660, or the engine will not be able to open the files.

The option to do that varies by the mastering / writing software. I noted this in the original wiki notes, but again this has not been migrated to the docs:
In the case of mkisofs, this can be achieved by using the -relaxed-filenames option to allow any ASCII character in filenames, -d option to omit trailing periods from filenames with no suffix (violates ISO9660) and -l to allow filenames of up to 31 characters in length. For other authoring software, please consult your user manual.
kremiso

Post by kremiso »

you can try to download and test the latest Dreamcast Nero image & demos,
from the official download page :

https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

or explore inside how the files structure/order have been changed, starting from the 2.5.0 release;
ie a PLUGINS subdirectory is now mandatory, with inside all the required game engine plugins

i haven't checked yet the latest 2.6.1, but until the 2.6.0 everything was working ok here, Flycast, Redream and Demul;
always used BootDreams to create the .cdi's

btw, even if you reach to make it work, don't expect you'll reach to make load the latest games added to ScummVM with it :(
the DC port has sadly reached the point of no return, using almost half of the short Dreamcast memory just to launch the engine and the autodetect plugin

EDIT just tested here the 2.6.1 Nero image, and it works ok
but, just playing a bit with the demos inside, the DC will sadly reset in out of memory in a short time
SpongeBat1

Post by SpongeBat1 »

digitall wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:06 am Well, you could try using mkisofs / cdrtools / cygwin to Win32 ports, but mileage may vary.
How do I do that? Every time I try to use one of those it closes instantly and I cannot for the life of me find how to actually use them.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

SpongeBat1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 am
digitall wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:06 am Well, you could try using mkisofs / cdrtools / cygwin to Win32 ports, but mileage may vary.
How do I do that? Every time I try to use one of those it closes instantly and I cannot for the life of me find how to actually use them.
You need to know how to use the Windows console, but that’s quite technical unfortunately. The Dreamcast port as it is today is not very plug-and-play I’m afraid. Maybe come over our Discord server for easier guidance.