Escape from Monkey Island ctd on loading game

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cakeisamadeupdrug

Escape from Monkey Island ctd on loading game

Post by cakeisamadeupdrug »

Hi

I was looking through the Daily builds and didn't see one for RPM-based Linux distros (but there were a few for debian-based distros), so I downloaded the Windows version and ran it in Wine. I'm opening with this because this might be the cause of the issue. I don't have any Windows or Debian-based systems to test it with.

The game is opening and running fine so far, until I try to load a saved game. This is causing a crash to desktop every time. As far as I can tell the save games are being created correctly (but don't really have a way of testing this other than seeing that they exist), and I don't know if anything useful is meant to be in ~/AppData/Roaming/ScummVM/Logs/scummvm.log but there kind of isn't.

I've tried googling and it doesn't seem a particularly common thing, so idk if it's a bug or an issue with the way I'm trying to run it. Is it something that any of you have ever encountered and (hopefully) fixed?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Escape from Monkey Island ctd on loading game

Post by rootfather »

Running ScummVM via WINE is basically one of the most unsupported things ever ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if this is caused by some OpenGL issues. Since there are no RPM builds available, is using FlatPak or Snap an option for you? We offer packages for both distribution platforms on our website: https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to have access to some nightly builds, you can follow the "edge" channel on snapcraft.io (even though I currently set it to version 2.6.1 due to the pending release next week).

All the best
rootfather
cakeisamadeupdrug

Re: Escape from Monkey Island ctd on loading game

Post by cakeisamadeupdrug »

Yes, I have to run the nightly build for this game specifically. I have the normal version of scummvm also installed via the standard repos. That works for Monkey Islands 1, 2 and 3 absolutely fine, but EoMI is not supported by that version yet as far as I am aware. I will have another look at flatpak (I'm not the world's biggest fan of snap)