Curse Of Monkey Island - best graphic settings

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Curse Of Monkey Island - best graphic settings

Post by sev »

ScummVM implements several scalers. The list with demos could be found on our documentation: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.6.0/adva ... phics.html

Eugene
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@sev

Wasn't there talk at some point that the possibility of using shaders for filters and scalers exist?

I remember seeing a video of shaders that gave beautiful results when scaling old games

Edit: not sure but was it xbrz?
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Brandon8o wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:34 pm Is there a general consensus on the best option here for smoothing out the graphics on modern displays?

For the method that Kasenshlogga is talking about, is that meant to be on top of using the xBRZ thing that is discussed earlier in the thread, or is that purely just using reshade and nothing else. And anyone have personal opinions about what yields the best result between all of these methods?

Thanks!
Hi, my Reshade config is supposed to be used with the ScummVM scaling left at the default setting, because I found that it gives me better results than any of the upscaling filters included in ScummVM.
Jade

Post by Jade »

I have never used reshade. Do I point it to the ScummVM EXE or the Curse EXE?
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Jade wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:36 am I have never used reshade. Do I point it to the ScummVM EXE or the Curse EXE?
Yeah, the ScummVM.exe and then just drop my config in there. You just need to make sure the graphics mode in ScummVM is set to OpenGL but I THINK that's the default option these days. You can leave everything else at default.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Another option is to use Retroarch which enables its complete shader suite.

You can even the new Mega Bezel Reflection Shader to achieve something like the attached picture.
Attachments
Monkeyisland-1024x576.jpg
Monkeyisland-1024x576.jpg (100.08 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Bobbin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:31 pm Another option is to use non-supported which enables its complete shader suite.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?
Brandon8o

Post by Brandon8o »

Kasenshlogga wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:11 pm
Brandon8o wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:34 pm Is there a general consensus on the best option here for smoothing out the graphics on modern displays?

For the method that Kasenshlogga is talking about, is that meant to be on top of using the xBRZ thing that is discussed earlier in the thread, or is that purely just using reshade and nothing else. And anyone have personal opinions about what yields the best result between all of these methods?

Thanks!
Hi, my Reshade config is supposed to be used with the ScummVM scaling left at the default setting, because I found that it gives me better results than any of the upscaling filters included in ScummVM.
Thanks for the clarification.

Have you seen the method outlined here? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1937794707
Curious if you have any opinions on it, seems so many approaches have been taken with this
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

Brandon8o wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:21 pmHave you seen the method outlined here? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1937794707
Curious if you have any opinions on it, seems so many approaches have been taken with this
If all you want is a simple all-purpose upscaling filter, it's great. Definitely a step up from the HQx filters that we've had for years. But you can only achieve so much with a single filter, and of course you can't really tweak it. With Reshade you can apply multiple shaders at once, including dedithering/debanding and tweak them accordingly to get the best visuals out of any specific game.