Blade Runner Controls

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Caleb Meyer

Blade Runner Controls

Post by Caleb Meyer »

Hey,
I've tried Blade Runner with Android app of Scummvm (from the website) and it runs great. However, it doesn't respond to my input in the game. I've switched through all the modes but it does nothing. Any suggestions?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Blade Runner Controls

Post by Praetorian »

Caleb Meyer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:34 pm Hey,
I've tried Blade Runner with Android app of Scummvm (from the website) and it runs great. However, it doesn't respond to my input in the game. I've switched through all the modes but it does nothing. Any suggestions?
I am not aware of control issues with Blade Runner on Android (it's also one of the games I'm mostly testing with ScummVM on Android :) ). It should work on direct touch or touchpad mode -- not on emulared contoller mode.

Is this an issue that you have only with Blade Runner or with any game you're running on Android ScummVM?

I think this might happen if there's a physical mouse connected (via USB host mode or Bluetooth), which overrides the mouse controls, but I'll have to check to make sure. If that's the case, check:
- if you can disable/remove such connected controller device (mouse or I guess keyboard/controller) and try again
- *or* check if you can control the game with that device instead of the touch controls.
Caleb Meyer

Post by Caleb Meyer »

Hey Praetorian,

Thanks for your response. I've to correct myself:

After sitting through lengthy intros and also testing two other games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen), I've noticed that the real problem is, that I can't skip the intro (videos). It's not responding but gameplay is normal. I should be able to skip them, right?

No mouse or anything attached. I have USB C and no adapter to test a mouse unfortunately.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Caleb Meyer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:57 pm Hey Praetorian,

Thanks for your response. I've to correct myself:

After sitting through lengthy intros and also testing two other games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen), I've noticed that the real problem is, that I can't skip the intro (videos). It's not responding but gameplay is normal. I should be able to skip them, right?

No mouse or anything attached. I have USB C and no adapter to test a mouse unfortunately.
Yes you should be able to skip them.

Sometimes different games have different hotkeys to skip cutscenes. I believe we typically assign the Andoird System Back key but you can assign another key eg. from the keyboard overlay to this action by using the ScummVM keymapper.

I know that in some Android devices the system buttons menu (the three buttons, Home, Back and the other one that shows active apps) is not active by default and the user has to enable it from the System Options. If this is the case for you, you can either enable this menu or use the keyboard shortcuts using the virtual keyboard.

For Blade Runner, it should work that you bring up the virtual keyboard (touch and hold on the button that changes the ScummVM control mode) and then press Esc or space or Enter (all three of these keys are by default assigned to "Skip cutscene" for the Blade Runner engine. The Android system Back key should also work.

For Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen, the skip cutscene key should be either Esc or the Android System Back key.