Will ScummVM Support the Game Easy Bake Kitchen?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

Will ScummVM Support the Game Easy Bake Kitchen?

Post by philthethrill »

I ordered an Easy Bake Kitchen Playset from eBay for my 4 year old niece. She loves to play games, especially the ones where she can actually do something like coloring or drawing. I thought it would be perfect for her. The playset straps onto a keyboard, and each piece actually does something. It comes with a PC game called Easy Bake Kitchen, and you can use the playset while you play. When you use the electric mixer on the mixing bowl, the electric mixer in the game mixes the ingredients in the mixing bowl. When you tap the egg on the mixing bowl, an egg in the game gets cracked on the mixing bowl, and the contents of the egg land into the mixing bowl. Here's a video that shows how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8us5_oqYacE

The problem is that I can't get the game to work. The seller that I bought the playset from doesn't have the game CD. He told me to download it. Don't worry. I'm not going to do anything illegal. I found another seller on eBay who has the game CD, and I ordered it from him. He shipped it today, and I'll get it by October 3. The problem is that when I start the game I get an error message that says "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:IV32' decompressor." I'm running the game on an LG Gram 17 laptop that I got from Costco. It has the 64-bit Windows 11 Home installed on it. I joined the Windows Insider Program so I can get the latest updates. Here is the link with the specs for my laptop. https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90n ... lim-laptop

Will ScummVM eventually support this game? Here is the link from MobyGames for this game. https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/ ... ke-kitchen
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Will ScummVM Support the Game Easy Bake Kitchen?

Post by sev »

Nice story. The answer to your question is covered in the FAQ, #3.1.2.

Eugene
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I read it, and I understand. I thought I might ask anyway. I really appreciate what ScummVM does, and I'm glad that a lot of kid friendly titles are supported like Darby the Dragon and Blue's Clues. When my niece is older and is used to using a mouse, I'll introduce them to her.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Nice story indeed!

As for playing this older game on a modern computer, I think the best solution for you today would probably be to install it inside a Windows 98SE or Windows XP virtual machine. Look for some online tutorials about this, if necessary :wink:
fibs

Post by fibs »

philthethrill wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:04 amThe problem is that when I start the game I get an error message that says "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:IV32' decompressor."
I've encountered this problem with a different game and the fix described here solved the issue for me. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=922548#p922548
Open a notepad, copy/paste the text, save as file ending with the extension .reg, double-click it. Then try to play the game. See also the next post for registry instructions to disable the measure after you're reasonably done with the game. There are four texts, so you can create four .reg files.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

Tsomi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 pm As for playing this older game on a modern computer, I think the best solution for you today would probably be to install it inside a Windows 98SE or Windows XP virtual machine. Look for some online tutorials about this, if necessary :wink:
I tried that. I found a Windows 95 virtual machine on GitHub. It works really well, but the problem is that when I play the game, there's an echo, which is rather annoying.
fibs wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 pm I've encountered this problem with a different game and the fix described here solved the issue for me. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=922548#p922548
Open a notepad, copy/paste the text, save as file ending with the extension .reg, double-click it. Then try to play the game. See also the next post for registry instructions to disable the measure after you're reasonably done with the game. There are four texts, so you can create four .reg files.
I asked for help on Vogons after I started this thread, and they helped me a lot. They gave me a .reg file which enabled the Indeo codecs on my LG Gram 17 laptop that has Windows 11 installed on it. I was able to start the game, and the intro videos played flawlessly, but after they were over, the game crashed. I got an error message that said "EBAuto MFC Application is not responding."

I also have a Windows 10 laptop that has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed on it. It has an Intel Core i7-3610QM processor with 16 GB of RAM, and it has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M video card. I ran the .reg file which enabled the Indeo codecs on the laptop, and I started the game, the videos played flawlessly, and when they were over, I was able to start playing.

I think the issue is that the game doesn't like the integrated Intel video card that's on my LG Gram 17 laptop that has Windows 11 installed on it. I looked up the Indeo codec to find more information about it, and Wikipedia mentioned Police Quest: SWAT 2. I saw that gog.com has Police Quest: SWAT 1 and 2, and on the product page it says "SWAT 2 doesn't support Intel integrated video devices (including those found on netbooks)."