"Cannot find file disk00.lec" in Monkey Island DOS

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Foxideo

"Cannot find file disk00.lec" in Monkey Island DOS

Post by Foxideo »

Hi all :D

I'm currently trying to play the original VGA DOS version of The Secret of Monkey Island in French (my native language) on Floppy (8 disks version), years after completing it with the Special Edition for the first time, wanting to experience the original version.

I'm using ScummVM 2.6.0 on Windows 10.

The game runs fine, but when I try to play the game with Emulated MT-32, having specified a folder containing valid MT-32 Roms, a prompt pops up that says "Cannot find file disk00.lec", and I've found no trace of such file online, and from what I know this VGA version should support MT32 outside the box.

I'm really at a loss here, I really don't know what to do... If I'm explaining wrong or "off-limits" let me know.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: "Cannot find file disk00.lec" in Monkey Island DOS

Post by Praetorian »

Hello,

Do you have this boxed edition of The Secret of Monkey Island at hand? Maybe there's some info in the manual or the box cover about Roland support.

I am not sure if any of our developers actually own this particular version of the game. I could only find the ticket that led to it being added to the detection mechanism and also a few Google results ([1], [2]) suggesting that this version does not need the available "upgrade" patch (which officially is for the EGA english version), renaming the file in that patch to disc00.lec does not work, and it may very well be that this version does not support MT-32 altogether.
Foxideo

Post by Foxideo »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:17 pm Hello,

Do you have this boxed edition of The Secret of Monkey Island at hand? Maybe there's some info in the manual or the box cover about Roland support.

I am not sure if any of our developers actually own this particular version of the game. I could only find the ticket that led to it being added to the detection mechanism and also a few Google results ([1], [2]) suggesting that this version does not need the available "upgrade" patch (which officially is for the EGA english version), renaming the file in that patch to disc00.lec does not work, and it may very well be that this version does not support MT-32 altogether.
I unfortunately don't have a box... From what I could gather from further research, the option for MT-32 support was never added to European versions of the game, seeing as very few people actually owned an MT-32 in Europe. At least I now know this fact, thanks for the reply !
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Hi,

(We've probably already met on the ATP forums :P)

The English and Spanish VGA floppy versions of Monkey1 do appear to have proper MT-32 support by default. For some reason, the MT-32 room resources are missing from the (EDIT: 8-disk only) French VGA floppy version (the index in 000.LFL references this invalid DISK00.LEC file, and room no. 94 is nowhere to be found, as far I can say). Unfortunately, it looks like there is no way for us to restore it, as the whole resource appears to be missing. This is not a ScummVM issue, as the original interpreters also have this problem with this version.

I believe you'll need to play the English VGA floppy version, the EGA English/French floppy version (with the Roland Upgrade patch), or the Ultimate Talkie Edition, if you want MT-32.

EDIT: Some French players tell me that this problem only exists on the 8-disk French VGA floppy version. MT-32 support is said to work in the 4-disk French VGA floppy version.