Drascula an ScummVM 2.6.0

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

guybrushTW

Drascula an ScummVM 2.6.0

Post by guybrushTW »

Hello,
first, many thanks for creating and updating ScummVM and your support forum. So we all could play our beloved classic games.

Now I have got an issue which I could not find in the forum.

Yesterday I have installed ScummVM 2.6.0 and I want to start the game "Drascula" but this will not run with ScummVM 2.6.0

I got an error message that "drascula.dat" has got version 5, but the engine expects version 6 of "drascula.dat".
I have downloaded a new one, but the error will be still there.

If I use ScummVM 2.0.0 the game "Drascula" will run.

How to solve this, so that I can use ScummVM 2.6.0 for all of my games?
This would be so much easier instead of switching between the ScummVM versions.

Kind regards,
Guybrush ;-)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Drascula an ScummVM 2.6.0

Post by sev »

You did not specify which OS are you running on, so, let's assume it is Windows.

If you're using the release build, then this file is embedded in the scummvm.exe and that is of the correct version. Thus, that suggests me that you have a stray drascula.dat of version 5 hanging somewhere.

If not, then the file is not in the executable, but maybe in one of the paths accessible to scummvm: the game directory, the extrapath or the directory where the executable resides.

drascula.dat v6 is 259619 bytes long
drascula.dat v5 is 219527 bytes long

Eugene
guybrushTW

Post by guybrushTW »

You are right, I'm running ScummVM on Windows. Sorry ;-)

I have checked and my drascula.dat is v5 ( 219527 bytes )

I did not know that this file is embedded in scummvm.exe.
For testing I moved drascula.dat outside the Drascula directory and now it runs without error. Great.

So I did not need the drascula.dat to play, because it is embedded in scummvm.exe and I can delete this file?

Thank you
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

guybrushTW wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:28 pm So I did not need the drascula.dat to play, because it is embedded in scummvm.exe and I can delete this file?
You can indeed delete that file.

If others have this issue in the future and see this thread, the same is true with the macOS and iOS versions as well (the dracula.dat is included in the ScummVM.app application bundle).