"Inca II" in ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Uka

"Inca II" in ScummVM

Post by Uka »

It seems that my version of "Inca II" is not recognized by ScummVM...
I have the US floppy box version 1.0 dated 18.03.1994.

Here is what I get when trying to add it:
The game in '2FL_US\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the gob engine: inca2-us

{"intro.stk", 0, "48cc6e6b0b0b343f876290d2700d8eba", 804780},
However, I am not sure how to use that GitHub thing, sorry :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: "Inca II" in ScummVM

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Uka wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:16 pm It seems that my version of "Inca II" is not recognized by ScummVM...
I have the US floppy box version 1.0 dated 18.03.1994.
Adding a detection entry should be simple enough, I guess... but the game isn't really supported. (From what I understand, there's a bunch of hard-coded stuff in the game that someone would have to reverse-engineer for it to work?)
Uka

Post by Uka »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:19 am Adding a detection entry should be simple enough, I guess... but the game isn't really supported. (From what I understand, there's a bunch of hard-coded stuff in the game that someone would have to reverse-engineer for it to work?)
Ah, OK, thanks.
It is strange then that it is listed among supported Gob games in ScummVM and even noted as "Completeable" in Wiki.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Uka: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Inca ... mmortality

The game consists of two interleaved sections: point and click puzzle and 3D space combat.

The point and click puzzle sections use the same Gob engine (with some variation) as other supported games such as Goblins series and Woodruff and thus are supported and the story / puzzle is completable with the 3D space combat skipped.

Reverse engineering of the 3D space combat section has not been done. Similar issues affect the Doom based maze at the end of Hopkins FBI, space combat sections of
the Star Trek games etc. ...
Uka

Post by Uka »

digitall wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm The game consists of two interleaved sections: point and click puzzle and 3D space combat.

The point and click puzzle sections use the same Gob engine (with some variation) as other supported games such as Goblins series and Woodruff and thus are supported and the story / puzzle is completable with the 3D space combat skipped.
Of course, I know. And that's exactly what I would like to do - to be able to play all the adventure sections while skipping the 3D space combat part :)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Uka: OK. Detection entry added in commit https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... b24834a728.

Please test with the next nightly build from: https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/dailybuilds
Uka

Post by Uka »

Thanks, digitall!
The game is now recognizable and launches fine!
However it is not playable yet as no subtitles are displayed in cut-scenes, and the screens just flicker until there is a puzzle part to be played. Well, nevermind - hopefully the support for this game will improve one day.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Uka: Apart from hope, ScummVM is open source... feel free to contribute a code patch :)
Uka

Post by Uka »

I know about open source, but I am not a programmer and know nothing about codes :)