Saves from 2.6.0 are not working on the ScummVM from Play Store

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Srandista

Saves from 2.6.0 are not working on the ScummVM from Play Store

Post by Srandista »

I'm not sure it's necessarily a bug per se, but I think, that there should be at least some note for a Android players, which are downloading current version of ScummVM from Play Store.

It seems, that saves from 2.6.0 are binary incompatible with previous versions, which means, that for players, who want to play on both their PC and Android devices and sync saves between those devices, they either have to use older ScummVM 2.5.1 on PC with official release of ScummVM on Play Store, or they need to overwrite ScummVM on their Android with latest version available in Download section (to be able to use it with latest 2.6.0 on PC). I tested two games, Loom and The Dig, and in both of them, I'm unable to load saves made with 2.6.0 (or daily 2.6.x or 2.7.0) on PC with official version 2.5.0 from Play Store. I can load saves from 2.5.0 in 2.6.0 with no issues, tho once saved there, it's again not usable on older version.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Saves from 2.6.0 are not working on the ScummVM from Play Store

Post by Praetorian »

Srandista wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:09 am I'm not sure it's necessarily a bug per se, but I think, that there should be at least some note for a Android players, which are downloading current version of ScummVM from Play Store.

It seems, that saves from 2.6.0 are binary incompatible with previous versions, which means, that for players, who want to play on both their PC and Android devices and sync saves between those devices, they either have to use older ScummVM 2.5.1 on PC with official release of ScummVM on Play Store, or they need to overwrite ScummVM on their Android with latest version available in Download section (to be able to use it with latest 2.6.0 on PC). I tested two games, Loom and The Dig, and in both of them, I'm unable to load saves made with 2.6.0 (or daily 2.6.x or 2.7.0) on PC with official version 2.5.0 from Play Store. I can load saves from 2.5.0 in 2.6.0 with no issues, tho once saved there, it's again not usable on older version.
Is this a particular game you are testing with?
Edit: I just noticed that you've written Loom and The Dig. Both of these games got significant updates since 2.5.0 and also SCUMM games (especially LOOM) are particularly notorious for not loading a game if it was saved under different sound settings.
Srandista

Post by Srandista »

I can confirm, that the issue is not present in Quest For Glory 1 VGA, where the saves are compatible between the versions.

I double checked the settings for Loom and The Dig, and they are identical between my PC and Android phone. I also tried changed audio device for Loom from MT-32 to AdLib, but no dice. Also, the behavior is difference to trying load from the same version but different audio settings. Where with different audio settings, ScummVM on phone just straight up crashes when trying to load, with trying to load newer save with older version, save doesn't even have thumbnail and instead of load, the game just starts from beginning (when trying to load from launcher) or I get "Failed to load saved game from file:" message (when trying to load from game).

Also, when I try to overwrite the save from newer version, the name is always "Invalid version".
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Srandista wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:05 am I can confirm, that the issue is not present in Quest For Glory 1 VGA, where the saves are compatible between the versions.

I double checked the settings for Loom and The Dig, and they are identical between my PC and Android phone. I also tried changed audio device for Loom from MT-32 to AdLib, but no dice. Also, the behavior is difference to trying load from the same version but different audio settings. Where with different audio settings, ScummVM on phone just straight up crashes when trying to load, with trying to load newer save with older version, save doesn't even have thumbnail and instead of load, the game just starts from beginning (when trying to load from launcher) or I get "Failed to load saved game from file:" message (when trying to load from game).

Also, when I try to overwrite the save from newer version, the name is always "Invalid version".
The fact that this does not happen in a non-SCUMM game, at least to me, means that this is probably engine specific (to the SCUMM engine games) rather than Android-port specific.

However, since I'm a little confused about what works and what does not in your setup, could you please share a few of these incompatible saved games from Android and Windows, marking the ScummVM version and platform under which they were saved so that I could test on my end? Or you could open a ticket on our bug tracker and attach the saved games there (please mark them with the platform and version description so that it will be easy for us to test).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

It's always been the case (at least with the SCUMM engine) that savegames from older versions generally work with newer versions, but not the other way around. I doubt that will change.

This doesn't neessarily happen every new version, but whenever the format of savegames changes, the version number for new savegames is increased. 2.5.1 uses version 102, 2.6.0 uses 105, and the development version uses 106.

Going through the commits, I see:
  • 106 was when adding support for CGA rendering to version 1 of Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken.
  • 105 was to fix a "minor (and rare) costume rendering glitch".
  • 104 was to fix "regression in saving/loading Mac music".
  • 103 was for the rewritten Digital iMUSE engine.