gameid:bladerunner-final

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dejunai

gameid:bladerunner-final

Post by dejunai »

I have the GoG published release. Original "Blade Runner" launches fine and skips the ScummVM launcher window and goes straight to the game. I am launching "Blade Runner (Restored Content)" from GoG Galaxy, and every time, even from command line: BR[RC] launches to the ScummVM launcher. Am I to assume, that because "(Restored Content) version is not fully supported by SVM that the launcher must invoke? Or am I missing something simple in the gameconfig.ini [gamesection]. I tried to locate it on the website, every thing seems well documented; but there is no -hide_launcher option... even from the command line that I can find.

Any advice would be helpful.

Dejunai
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: gameid:bladerunner-final

Post by Praetorian »

Hello,

No, the ScummVM launcher does not *have* to show up due to Restored Content mode not being fully supported.

On my Windows PC, GOG set up a shortcut (not within GOG Galaxy), called "Blade Runner (Restored Content)" and this executes the following:

Code: Select all

"C:\Games\Blade Runner\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -c "..\project_nov.ini" project-nov-rc
where "C:\Games\Blade Runner\" is my Blade Runner installation folder.

This does not display the ScummVM launcher. although it will display the popup message that informs about the engine being unstable (I don't think this message can be skipped).

You probably also have this non-Galaxy shortcut set up already (just search for Blade Runner in your Windows Start menu), but if not, it should be easy to create it by making a copy of the existing shortcut for the Blade Runner original mode, and changing the "target" field to the above. "Start in" field should be set to the Blade Runner installation folder (here: "C:\Games\Blade Runner\")

I do see that the issue when using the shortcut within GOG Galaxy (from Additional Executables->Blade Runner (Restored Content)" but I don't know why it goes to the launcher, after it displays the message about the unstable engine. I'm guessing some misconfiguration of that shortcut on GOG's side.

Note: A more recent ScummVM version (ie. 2.6.0) or a development build 2.7.0git is recommended for trying out the Restored Content mode.
dejunai

Re: gameid:bladerunner-final

Post by dejunai »

I'll try 2.7.0 development build... My GoG launch is exactly what you shared, and I tried several times from the Command Line, pho-Dos prompt. ScummVM starts and shows me the prompt, which I am happy to click on, and then to the launcher we go...

Code: Select all

C:\Games\Blade Runner\ScummVM>scummvm.exe -c "..\project_nov.ini" project-nov-rc
Using configuration file: ..\project_nov.ini
User picked target 'project-nov-rc' (engine ID 'bladerunner', game ID 'bladerunner-final')...
   Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Blade Runner
WARNING: Blade Runner failed to instantiate engine: User canceled (target 'project-nov-rc', path 'C:\Games\Blade Runner\')!
And it holds til the launcher ends, of course. It looks like an error with the BOLD warning, but "bladerunner" vanilla does the same thing from the Command Line... Whatever it is, it ain't stopping the game from launching.

On a side note, I edited the "project_nov-rc.ini" so the "gameid" was just "bladerunner", and it did launch fine. I didn't leave it like that; I was just checkin' the hypothesis. I am using v2.6.0... I am off now to v2.7.0, will report back...

Thank you for your detailed and helpful response,
Dejunai

//edit
At first I was confused about the contents of the "snapshot", lol... I never just run an .exe... But all is well, v2.7.0 is installed.. It throws the warning, and goes directly to the game's load screen...

Thank You again... very helpful...
Dejunai
//endedit