Games not working on 2.6.0

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nozomi

Games not working on 2.6.0

Post by nozomi »

I tested the ARM64 version on two different devices, and on both, The Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig both crash after starting.
Was just wanting to check here to see if it could possibly be a device issue or an issue with the port.

Going back to the 2.5.1 version of ScummVM, both games work great on the two devices I tested.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Games not working on 2.6.0

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 pm I tested the ARM64 version on two different devices, and on both, The Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig both crash after starting.
Was just wanting to check here to see if it could possibly be a device issue or an issue with the port.

Going back to the 2.5.1 version of ScummVM, both games work great on the two devices I tested.
Could you specify a few things:
- What is the Android version that your devices are running?
- Which version of the games are you testing with?
- When do the games crash? Right upon starting them or after the intro cutscene? Are you loading from an old saved game?
- Are you able to test these same games on a desktop PC with a Windows (or Linux, or Mac) version of ScummVM 2.6.0? Do they also crash?

I should note that I don't get a crash for The Dig (GOG, English) or Curse of Monkey Island (GOG, English) testing on my smartphone device (Android 11, arm64).

I am just guessing here, but since 2.5.1 there have been significant improvements on the SCUMM engine games, and quite a few of those were for the sound component. If I understand the situation correctly, this means that if a user has compressed the game's sound files with some (previously supported) compression method (I think BUN compression), that will no longer work in 2.6.0 so you may need the original version of the sound files in your game's folder. I am unsure though if this would cause a crash or it would just play with disabled audio or something. The Dig and Curse of Monkey Island are notably affected by this issue.
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

The devices were an LG phone on Android 4.4 and Samsung phone on Android 5.0

The games have no compressed audio. Files are taken directly of the CD, the Windows version for COMI and the DOS version for The Dig.

These games work just fine on my Windows 11 and 10 computers as well as an intel MAC on Majove with ScummVM 2.6.0

The Curse of Moneky Island crashes immediately. The Dig loads to the first frame or two of the intro, then crashes.
Last edited by nozomi on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

That is odd, I'll try and test in the morning (it's getting late here) with a couple of other devices I have and report back.

If possible, could you test with some of the demos we have in the ScummVM demos page for these games with Android 2.6.0?

There's a couple of COMI ones (I'd suggest The Curse of Monkey Island (Windows Large Demo)) and a couple of The Dig ones (I'd suggest The Dig (DOS CD Demo)).

Do those also crash?
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

I tried "The Curse of Monkey Island" Large Windows demo and "The Dig" DOS demo. Both work great. I tried again to copy the files from both a Windows and Mac where the games are working...with no success. Then reinstalled ScummVM 2.5.1 on the Android phones and the games work just fine.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Ok, some "good" news.

I was able to reproduce exactly this problematic case on my Huawei Y550-L01 (Android 4.4.4) device.

The bug did not happen on the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (E5823) (Android 7.1.1), nor on Huawei MediaPad M5 10 (Android 9), nor on the Redmi Note 9 Pro (Android 11).

The logcat from Android Studio indicates some issue with IMuseDigital::dispatchCheckForJump(), at least as the final call that causes the crash, for both cases.

It is possible that this bug is connected to this ticket, and the proposed patch (or a similar patch) could fix it.
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13777

I'll see if I can test this later on, and report back.

Edit: The patch as is does not resolve the issue on the old Huawei (Android 4.4.4) -- which by the way launches only ScummVM v7a build (not the arm64 one), but it crashes all the same with The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island.

Edit 2: The new PR by kreudom is a more thorough fix for the issue, and addresses the case for the Android port as well, as far as I was able to test at least. The PR has been merged with the master code so it will be part of 2.7.0git daily development builds from now on. It will probably also be backported to 2.6.1 branch for a potential bugfix 2.6.1 release.
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

Just wanted to report back the 2.6.1 release fixed this issue. Thanks so much.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:24 pm Just wanted to report back the 2.6.1 release fixed this issue. Thanks so much.
Thank you for the report and the feedback on the fix. Good to know it's actually working for you!