TLJ saves problem and graphic resolution

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Grismantel

TLJ saves problem and graphic resolution

Post by Grismantel »

Hello there,

Today, i tried to play The Longest Journey (the first game of the trilogy, GOG version, on Windows 7 64 bit) with ScummVM (latest public build).

I immediately encountered three problems which i couldn't solve myself and would appreciate any help in that matter :

- 1/ Savegames Location in ScummVM (both general settings and per game settings) : after hours (yes!) of search, i was forced to come to the conclusion that SCUMM VM doesn't give a damn about what i input in the "path" fields settings. It doesn't take it into account, at all ! That would be hilarious if it was not so annoying. I tried dozens of permutations, local folders etc..

First, i didn't even find WHERE the frack, SCUMM VM is keeping the saves made with SCUMM for this game, by default (i searched AppData, the scumm folder etc..) until suddenly by putting everything to Default again, new save games were correctly appearing (it was not the cast at the start) in user/appdate/roaming/scummvm/saved games, but the path specification problem remains unchanged.

- 2/ SCUMM VM doesn't recognize my saves made with the GOG version of the game prior to using SCUMM VM. Maybe it's normal ? I would like to know if there is a way to "convert" my old savegames to SCUMM VM savegames.

- 3/ Using SCUMM VM let me enjoy the game without the graphical character glitches (some character were lacking textures) that were plaguing the game on my PC, which is very cool and was the reason i opted for launching the game with SCUMM rather than not.

Problem is, i don't like what SCUMM VM do, by default, with the police of the game : it's too much "smoothed" for my tastes. How can i configure SCUMM VM or the game in order to get the graphical aspect the most like the original game, without any "improvements" or change (specially with the police characters) ? I tried several graphical options in SCUMM VM but didn't find the good one, obviously.

Edit: by using "software" rendering rather than OpenGL, the police is back to it's old, pixelized style (yeah : success, at last!) but now, the game is kept in a 4:3 ratio rather than the 16:10 i enjoy with the GOG version without SCUMM VM. The PC Gaming wiki tells me that the game is indeed based on a 4:3 ratio, which is very surprising for me because my GOG version (without SCUMM) really seemed to be working without stretching or graphical deformations in 16:10 ratio (my screen is & 1920:1200). I'm a bit at a loss, again.

If someone is able to guide me in these treacherous navigations of SCUMM VM configuration options, i would be eternally (or the next best thing) grateful ! I did go to SCUMM VM wiki and several guides without any chance for the moment.

Thanks,
Last edited by Grismantel on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: TLJ saves problem and graphic resolution

Post by Praetorian »

Grismantel wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:22 pm Hello there,

Today, i tried to play The Longest Journey (the first game of the trilogy, GOG version, on Windows 7 64 bit) with ScummVM (latest public build).

I immediately encountered three problems which i couldn't solve myself and would appreciate any help in that matter :

- 1/ Savegames Location in ScummVM (both general settings and per game settings) : after hours (yes!) of search, i was forced to come to the conclusion that SCUMM VM doesn't give a damn about what i input in the "path" fields settings. It doesn't take it into account, at all ! That would be hilarious if it was not so annoying. I tried dozens of permutations, local folders etc..

First, i didn't even find WHERE the frack, SCUMM VM is keeping the saves made with SCUMM for this game, by default (i searched AppData, the scumm folder etc..) until suddenly by putting everything to Default again, new save games were correctly appearing (it was not the cast at the start) in user/appdate/roaming/scummvm/saved games, but the path problem remains unchanged.
The documentation for ScummVM should help for the default location.
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... game-files

On Windows 10 x64, running a current development build ScummVM 2.7.0git, my saves for TLJ are all there, since I'm not using a custom saved games path. If I set a custom path, the saves go in there as expected.

I am not sure about your other questions though, so I'll let someone else reply for those.
Grismantel

Post by Grismantel »

Hey, thanks for your answer and the documentation link,

I had given it a shot before posting, but took the time to read it again. I discovered a new behavior for my SCUMM VM installation : even if i revert to "default" for the savegame path settings, (in SCUMM VM general settings), it keeps the last customized path i put instead.

I will try today to play more around the paths to see if i can find what is the cause of all this.

For my 3/ i think i got it. I played with several graphical options, and now i have the game running in 16:10 AND with "old style" police. I think i have a few graphical glitches on April character model (some pixels are "blinking" white sometimes), but maybe i can go around that too.

Still no chance though with getting SCUMM VM (and the game if launched with SCUMM) recognizes saves made without SCUMM, but maybe it's impossible.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

I have similar problem in 2.6.0 ScummVM, with OpenGL 3D renderer game is always stretched to the widescreen, i don't remember this behavior in previous versions..
huftis

Post by huftis »

KainXVIII wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm I have similar problem in 2.6.0 ScummVM, with OpenGL 3D renderer game is always stretched to the widescreen, i don't remember this behavior in previous versions..
That’s a bug introduced in version 2.6.0. I have reported it here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13768
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

huftis wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:23 pm
KainXVIII wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm I have similar problem in 2.6.0 ScummVM, with OpenGL 3D renderer game is always stretched to the widescreen, i don't remember this behavior in previous versions..
That’s a bug introduced in version 2.6.0. I have reported it here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13768
Thank you! I also wanted to create a bug report, but you got ahead of me and did much better than I could have done myself :mrgreen:
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

The only way to make it run in the correct 4:3 Aspect Ratio is to use SDL Surface and use Software as the game 3D Renderer.

But that is also not bug free. There's graphical glitches. Already made a bug report for this too here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13787
huftis

Post by huftis »

FYI, this bug is now fixed (in the development version):
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4215
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

huftis wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:37 pm
FYI, this bug is now fixed (in the development version):
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4215
Yep, already playing 8)
Pat86

Post by Pat86 »

Is this broken again? With 2.6.1 i only get a a stretched picture with OpenGL in fullscreen. Tested with the german DVD and 4 CD version.
huftis

Post by huftis »

Pat86 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:00 pm Is this broken again? With 2.6.1 i only get a a stretched picture with OpenGL in fullscreen. Tested with the german DVD and 4 CD version.
Unfortunately, it was never fixed for the 2.6.x versions. See viewtopic.php?p=97664#p97664 for an explanation.

So it looks like we have to wait for 2.7.0 (or compile from the development/Git version).
Pat86

Post by Pat86 »

Thanks for clarification!